question

From: Richmond Pabilona (rpabilonia_at_cyberjresources.com)
Date: 02/18/04

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:35:04 +0800

    Hi guys,
        Since fedora is a red hat distro, i was wondering why there are some
    packages that are specifically for red hat and fedora? Why is it that
    both of them using the same rpms? While sometimes, the package can work
    for both of them. How will i know if the package is for fedora or red
    hat if the download site only offers packages for red hat.

    Thanks,
    Richmond

    • Re: Infrastructure report, 2008-08-22 UTC 1200
      ... The intrusion into the servers was quickly discovered, ... One of the compromised Fedora servers was a system used for signing ... because Fedora packages are distributed via multiple ... In connection with these events, Red Hat, Inc. detected an intrusion of ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: fedora ?
      ... Some people have always liked other distributions better. ... "fork," but having downloaded and installed Fedora Core 1 as an UPGRADE ... What you're getting is a bit more "bleeding edge" than Red Hat Linux was ... It's almost like Gentoo where the available packages are out withing days ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: Fedora guy byebyes Debian
      ... Fedora is no more than testing for Red Hat, ... Umm, I think it would be more correct to compare Fedora with Debian SID -- Fedora is testing ground and the baby of Red Hat, somewhat bleeding edge, as is SID. ... If you want a comparison to Red Hat, not Fedora, then I think that Debian stable, is a reasonable comparison; however, CentOS with the Red Hat dollars and clout just _might_ be more superior in some ways -- but it all mostly comes back to choice. ... I've often found that packages are slow to make it to stable and you hear of this package or that package; you follow it up and find that it isn't available in stable... ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Fedora guy byebyes Debian
      ... Fedora is no more than testing for Red Hat, ... Fedora is testing ground and the baby of Red Hat, somewhat bleeding edge, as is SID. ... If you want a comparison to Red Hat, not Fedora, then I think that Debian stable, is a reasonable comparison; however, CentOS with the Red Hat dollars and clout just _might_ be more superior in some ways -- but it all mostly comes back to choice. ... I've often found that packages are slow to make it to stable and you hear of this package or that package; you follow it up and find that it isn't available in stable... ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Infrastructure report, 2008-08-22 UTC 1200
      ... Fedora packages. ... that the intruder was not able to capture the passphrase used to secure ... the Fedora package signing key. ... and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5." ...
      (Fedora)