Re: How do I get a /dev/sequencer?

From: Björn Persson (bjorn_persson_at_sverige.nu)
Date: 02/25/04

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:52:02 +0100

    Alexander Dalloz wrote:
    > Am So, den 22.02.2004 schrieb Björn Persson um 20:01:
    >
    >>My sound device is integrated on the motherboard. Sounds can be played
    >>just fine but MIDI doesn't work. Playmidi tries to access the MIDI
    >>device through /dev/sequencer and gets the error "No such device". The
    >>sound driver seems to be cmpci, but apparently it doesn't handle
    >>/dev/sequencer. What module do I need to load?
    >>
    >>Kudzu (or something) has identified the device as "C-Media Electronics
    >>Inc|CM8738". I'm currently running Linux 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.
    >
    > Install ALSA from fedora.us or freshrpms.net. I think the soundchip is
    > supported by the module named cmipci. See the ALSA project page for
    > details (like modules.conf entries).

    I installed alsa-driver, alsa-firmware, alsa-lib, alsa-oss, alsa-tools
    and alsa-utils from fedora.us, and was really confused for a while
    before I found the driver modules at FreshRPMs. Now I have the same
    situation with ALSA as I had before with OSS. PCM sound plays just fine
    but there is still no /dev/sequencer.

    Is /dev/sequencer even the right device file to use with ALSA? If not,
    is there a MIDI player that works with ALSA?

    According to the SOUNDCARDS file there is support for "MIXER,PCM,MIDI"
    with CMI8738, and "MIDI" is explained as "external MIDI port". Does that
    mean the driver can control an external synth through the MIDI port, but
    not the built-in synth? Would I need one of the cards labeled with
    "SYNTH_MIDI" to play MIDI with the card?

    Björn Persson

    • Re: [opensuse 10.3] Frage zum Abspielen von MIDI-Dateien
      ... Sound Controller mit dem Treiber snd-intel8x0. ... Da ist wohl nix mit MIDI in Hardware. ... ALSA verwenden? ... inzwischen das Linux-Standard-Soundsystem ist. ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
    • Re: how to do a repair install of XP
      ... I have built in sound in the mother board, SoundMAX is the s/w for it .. ... and choose the audio tab,for midi playback there is nothing selected. ... Well after the install, the midi was working (heard the windows ... audio" and it uses the sound device, not the MIDI device (the MS GS ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Wmp9 Error Message: 0xC00d1199 Cannot play file
      ... All my settings are correct (I have used Audacity ... Probably your sound playback device isn't set to use the Record ... so the controls will be shown. ... Make sure you've loaded the correct MIDI ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
    • Re: Delphi hour replay MP3
      ... Sound is sound, so to say. ... Sequencers work with MIDI files, a MIDI file contains no sound, only ... file it sounds like a real piano because it is that - sounds sampled ... It is a mine field though, setting up drivers, tweaking Windows here, ...
      (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
    • Re: a resource for people selling oddball musical instruments
      ... >>> are MIDI and QuickTime files. ... library or sound card. ... I don't have any Flash authoring ... Well one can assign actions to the keyboard as well. ...
      (uk.people.consumers.ebay)