Re: SATA on Linux vs. WinXP WAS Help me to get rid of windows forever

From: Robin Laing (Robin.Laing_at_drdc-rddc.gc.ca)
Date: 04/29/04

    Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:28:33 -0600
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Bob Gorman wrote:

    >>>I found a page on Intel's site that said that newer kernels support SATA
    >>>on the ICH5 chipset, but only in legacy mode:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-006312-prd40.htm
    >>>
    >>>Whereas MSI (the manufacturer of the motherboard I've got on order) states
    >>>that WinXP can do SATA in Native mode.
    >>>
    >>>1) Is there any advantage to running in Native mode? (IOW, is it worth it
    >>>to purchase WinXP?)
    >>>
    >>>2) Does anybody know if Native mode support is coming to linux?
    >>
    >>Enhanced SATA (not Legacy) already works in Fedora Core and RHL 8,0/9
    >>with newer kernels. I had to install RHL 8.0 in Legacy mode, then I
    >>could upgrade the kernel and use Enhanced mode.
    >>
    >>I think that the Legacy in BIOS bit was a part of another solution.
    >

    > Enhanced ICH5 is fine in Enhanced Mode with SATA. It's the RAID option (ICH5R) that requires Legacy Mode to work. I just use software RAID instead. The ICH5R isn't true hardware RAID anyway, from what I've read.

    Doesn't software raid also have more tools for recovery? Less
    hardware dependent?

    I set up my new computer with software raid after reading the about
    the above points. I took what I read to be true.

    BTW, the FC1 kernel did recognize my SATA controller (SI) and the raid
    that I set up with the BIOS. I removed the HW raid after reading
    about recovery and raid tools.

    --
    Robin Laing