Re: feedback to NVidia [was: Nvidia Drivers]

From: Sean Estabrooks (seanlkml_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: 05/26/04

    Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 01:56:54 -0400
    To: fedora-list@redhat.com

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:55:26 -0700 (PDT)
    Frank Tanner III <pctech@mybellybutton.com> wrote:

    > And I do, and will disagree. Just because you would
    > like to see them Open Source doesn't mean that they
    > HAVE to be Open Source. Believe it or not, you're
    > going to see ALOT more binary only things for Linux as
    > time goes on and it gets more and more accepted by the
    > "mainstream" software development houses.

    What people are saying is it would be healthy for Linux
    if more people realized why they have a vibrant healthy
    alternative to MSWin in the first place. It's because of
    open source.

    Thank goodness that those people who bestowed freedom
    onto Linux, by their commitment to open source, didn't
    exclude you just because you don't share their vision.
    But a little humility and thankfulness wouldn't hurt. You are
    using an open source operating system after all, obviously
    you must see some benefit and enjoy the result of open
    source or you'd still be only using MSWin.

    It seems a little rich for proprietary zealots to come swooping
    in after open source creates Linux and start telling people
    the way it's going to be.

    > Prime example. TRY to find a non-binary only version
    > of Macromedia Cold Fusion for Linux. You won't.
    > Personally, I think CF sucks as a web development
    > platform. Others disagree. Another example. Try to
    > find a non-binary only release of Lotus Domino/Notes
    > Server for Linux. You won't.

    And if there were viable open source alternatives
    (which over the long term seems likely) these closed
    source examples you cite won't be able to compete.

    > Everyone that thinks that everything that runs on
    > Linux HAS to be Open Source is in for a very rude
    > awakening and a miserable existance if they don't get
    > over it.

    Perhaps. But a more hopeful future will include
    even more open source with the associated freedoms.
    Short term, you're probably correct because people have
    a hard time letting go what they already know, also the
    closed source world has a long head start. But over
    the long haul the power of open source may just win
    the hearts and minds of people, I for one think that'd
    be a good thing.

    Regards,
    Sean

    • Re: what to do after "Touretzkeys book"?
      ... IBM has some Linux hackers, ... see what your point is and how you discount IBM's open source contributions. ... or some kernel device driver... ... generated by people who are paid to do the hacking. ...
      (comp.lang.lisp)
    • Red Hat: Open Source News (fwd)
      ... Red Hat Open Source News ... To challenge the dominance of Microsoft's Windows PC operating system, ... Japan is promoting the Linux system in public schools. ... Open Source Law: Open source and the IT trade deficit ...
      (comp.os.linux.announce)
    • Re: Check that out: THe Bottom Line: Software and copyright
      ... Undisclosed source code did NOT originate with Microsoft. ... to get Adobe Photoshop to work on Linux. ... Open source can be a misnomer, but in general, open source is a product of ... SCO can't be sold short ... ...
      (linux.redhat.misc)
    • Re: Check that out: THe Bottom Line: Software and copyright
      ... Undisclosed source code did NOT originate with Microsoft. ... to get Adobe Photoshop to work on Linux. ... Open source can be a misnomer, but in general, open source is a product of ... SCO can't be sold short ... ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
      ... Because India has the lowest per capita GDP? ... So Longhorn is not an experiment and Linux is an experiment? ... Developers can take an Open Source product and build on it, and that's great, but a couple of issues: i) They still have to target an environment; ii) none of the products providing real revenue to corporations today are Open Source. ... The Novel Linux integrates the Linux kernel product with other propreitary products to come up with a new derived product. ...
      (soc.culture.lebanon)