Re: What is "rhgb" on the grub, kernel line?

From: jludwig (wralphie_at_comcast.net)
Date: 05/28/04

    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 22:51:24 -0400

    On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 20:03, Jim Cornette wrote:
    > reg@dwf.com wrote:
    >
    > >For Fedora2 (and 1?) grub starts Linux with an argument of
    > >
    > > rhgb quiet
    > >
    > >Where are these kernel arguments described, and what do they do?
    > >
    > >Ive scanned the kernel sources for the "rhgb" string and dont
    > >find it.
    > >

    > rhgb = redhat graphical boot - This is a GUI mode booting screen with
    > most of the information hidden while the user sees a rotating activity
    > icon spining and brief information as to what the computer is doing.
    >
    > quiet = hides the majority of boot messages before rhgb starts. These
    > are supposed to make the common user more comfortable. They get alarmed
    > about seeing the kernel and initializing messages, so they hide them for
    > their comfort.
    >
    > Of course these people probably would be more alarmed with XP or 2K
    > messages during safe mode operation.
    >
    > Jim
    I get alarmed if I don't see what's going on.

    --
    jludwig <wralphie@comcast.net>

    • Re: Problem origin identification
      ... Jim Cornette wrote: ... >> A question for the more experienced and expert fedora users. ... >> appeared to lessen or disappear with kernel and other upgrades. ... System freeze ups also ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: What is "rhgb" on the grub, kernel line?
      ... >>Where are these kernel arguments described, ... a lot of time to find out why your network is not working... ... This is really a stupid idea!! ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: kernel 2.6 questions????
      ... On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 21:37, Jim Cornette wrote: ... > There were several changes made to the 2.6 kernel. ... > reiserfs volumes, this might be the problem that you are seeing. ... You might need to open up your sound mixer and adjust the ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Cant boot FC3
      ... At grub boot screen press "a" and edit the kernel parameter line: ... "rhgb quiet" and add "acpi=off". ... whether deactivating ACPI will help at all. ... legal statement: http://www.uni-x.org/legal.html Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Kernel boot failure
      ... such instructions to append kernel ... To unsubscribe: ...
      (Fedora)