Re: Re: Deploring *nix Philosophy

From: Parameshwara Bhat (pbhat_at_ongc.net)
Date: 06/08/04

    Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:59:43 +0530
    To: Daniel Stonier <snorri_dj@operamail.com>

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 04:36:52 +1000, Daniel Stonier
    <snorri_dj@operamail.com> wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 07:33:42 +0530, Parameshwara Bhat <pbhat@ongc.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Hello Mr. Erik & Mr.Robin,
    >>

    > Your points are valid (except perhaps for the internet connection),
    > the simple, oft used things should be simple to do. However, most
    > of this fedora already does - I find it odd that you are having the
    > problems you do.
    >
    > I missed most of your earlier notes so I might be a little off
    > target, but my default user and any new users I add are all given
    > permission to unmount and mount the cdrom. No problems here. Using
    > automount -
    > you dont always want to mount a cdrom as a filesystem, so it keeps things
    > simple and leaves it there as an option I suspect. Automount is much more
    > useful for things like network shares where you want to slip in and out
    > unobtrusively without leaving it mounted for extended periods of time
    > (automount will automatically unmount something if you haven't used it
    > for
    > <x> period of time).
    I am hacking Automount / Autofs taking cue from a guide in web, I am
    really enjoying it. My blues over using CD / floppy seem to be over. They
    neither get locked because not unmounting.

> [...]
    > might find redhat-config-network (or neat, a sym link to the same thing)
    > a much easier option. Users can then use neat-control to turn the
    > interface
    > on and off without needing root password. I initially used this to set
    > up my cable modem internet interface and then users can turn the
    > interface
    > on or off with neat-control. Most of the redhat-config- gui's are fairly
    > sensibly designed for a new user to set up basic devices fairly easily.
    >
    > Most of these things are fairly simple things to get a handle on by
    > playing around with and remembering not to stonewall yourself by
    > refusing to allow yourself to think differently. You also
    > have to remember redhat's gui's have only recently been attempting to
    > accommodate the user market, so 10 years experience really only comes
    > down to two or so years of establishing an interface - so dont be
    > too critical on them. And also remember they are often just the
    > packager - most of the programs need be written by volunteers in
    > the open source community. Documentation within the system could be much
    > better - but the linux desktop is changing so fast its very difficult
    > for documentation to keep up. To make up for this you might want to
    > initially invest in a fedora bible of sorts. I haven't used one of these
    > for a while, but I found them useful to get started with, although
    > I did notice the redhat 9 one was fairly shallow and all about
    > pointing and clicking things rather than explaining concepts a
    > great deal. If you get to the stage where you want to do anything
    > fairly complicated though, you'll need to look elsewhere for info.
    >
    > And then there's the philosophy of the user - should the fedora root user
    > (administrator) be tolerated to be as computer illiterate as most of the
    > windows computer world is (is it a bad thing for us to expect that
    > a fedora root user become a little more computer educated?) Does this
    > bring the complexity or power of the OS down to the level of a windows
    > machine along with all its problems? I have no idea :) Though I'm not
    > sure that bringing Linux down to the level of windows home setup just to
    > appeal to
    > the masses is such a wonderful situation. I already find myself losing
    > control
    > in gnome and kde thanks to configuration designs that are there to make
    > the system
    > 'easier' to use (this is not necessarily detrimental though! Alot of
    > users I think appreciate the controls the desktops take over). Thankfully
    > there is enough variety in linux to provide alternative desktops
    > which suit my style.
    >
    > Just an odd note, I seem to see alot of people jump in and try Fedora
    > because
    > they're unhappy with windows, but then get frustrated when they find
    > things dont work as they did in windows. Rather ironic.

    No,this one deosn't belong to that. I love my freedom too much.

    And, I believe those who have worked their way hard into the heart of
    Linux might have to reconcile to theidea that Linux should need only a
    normal intelligent person, not a computer expert, to install, configure
    and maintain at home for home use . If Linux can focus and target at this
    segment additional to it's high end uses. it will truly conquer the world.

    Regards,

    P Bhat
    > Regards,
    > Daniel.

    • Re: Anything for home user and not the technical one??
      ... familiarize yourself with (things different from Windows) are CD/DVD/USB-flash ... At this checkpoint you are able to successfully use Fedora for everyday ... purposes and to be able to install new software as needed. ... This huge thread reminded me the first experience i had with linux. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Subject: RE: Fedora and the "normal" user
      ... I know all these are supported in Fedora, ... > has windows installed). ... those with less computer experience settle quicker than 'power ... I like to think windows has most things worked out from the users point of view so use Linux in the back end as much as I can, although saying that staff demanded to use Outlook 2003 last year and the only back end system that would fully support Outlook 2003 was of course exchange 2003. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Given Up on Linux
      ... >>My apologies, but unfortunately, I gave up on the L440GX with Fedora. ... >>Loaded Windows 2000 Server on it and it went fine. ... >>remarks to those who believe Linux is something to get so offended over ... > your hardware and there's always a fix somewhere. ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: Evolutionary Humour
      ... gparted resize my ubuntu partition so I can make room for Fedora ... Linux distro, which is getting as far away from Microsoft as possible. ... mess around with and have Windows on separate machines? ...
      (talk.origins)
    • Best distro for "flashy" workstation?
      ... I had used Mandrake 8 for some time before hardware failures forced ... Linux newbie, but at least I know my way around. ... What's a good Linux distribution for a "flashy" desktop interface? ... only know Windows). ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)