Re: CD music file formats

From: Robin Laing (Robin.Laing_at_drdc-rddc.gc.ca)
Date: 06/25/04

    Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:15:53 -0600
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Clint Harshaw wrote:
    > Bob Hartung wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> I am a newbie to this so here goes. I want to rip some very old CDs
    >> and then rerecord the songs onto CDs that will play in an "ancient" cd
    >> player. This player is able to play the original CDs, I just want to
    >> cut out the crap that I always have to skip over. So far I see lots
    >> of references to MP3 encoding using Grip and Lame. Also references to
    >> Ogg Orbis (sp?) and WAV formats. However, I see no references to the
    >> original CD format. Do I just rip them to a "raw" file format ,
    >> collect the raw files into an iso and then burn the iso to CD with
    >> cdrecord dev=0,0,0 [filename}?
    >>
    >> Help, directions all appreciated.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Bob Hartung
    >

    > Hi Bob, and welcome to Fedora! Here is a set of instructions that will
    > rip your original CD into .wav format using Grip:
    >
    > 1. insert your music CD. If your CD player starts playing the CD, then
    > stop it.
    > 2. Click on Redhat -> Sound & Video -> More Sound & Video Applcations ->
    > Grip. In a few seconds you should notice the tracks by name on the
    > Grip's GUI.
    > 3. Now let's set Grip up so that it will rip your CD. Click on Rip ->
    > Rip Only.
    > 4. Assuming Grip is now ripping your CD, go get a refreshing beverage.
    > When it's done, you'll have to poke around to see where Grip stored your
    > .wav files. Mine, for instance, stores them in a directory named
    > ~/ogg/artistname/cdname (as a generic example).
    >
    > For burning a CD that will play in about any player, I'd recommend your
    > looking into K3B. It's pretty straightforward: point and click, and
    > it'll burn the mixed CD that you want. If you are using Fedora Core 2,
    > you'll find K3B already installed. However, if you are using Fedora Core
    > 1, then you can easily install it with the following command from a root
    > prompt: yum install k3b.
    >
    > Now there is one item related to my experience with CD-R's: I've had
    > some 700MB CD-R's that wouldn't play in older players, while 650MB
    > CD-R's play just fine. That may or may not be your experience, but if
    > you should bump into that problem, try burning to a 650MB CD-R.
    >
    > Hope this helps, have fun! Let us know how it goes.
    > Clint

    I use grip and I have configured it to store the ogg files in a sub
    directory of music and wav files in it's own subdirectory. This way I
    have a compressed version on the computer for those late night
    listening sessions. I can delete the wav files that I don't want/need.

    In Grip under Config/Encode/Options, you can select/deselect to Delete
    .wav after encoding. You can also set your directories for ripping
    and encoding under the various Config tabs.

    There are various reports on the net about sound quality between
    different encoders. I chose ogg for sound quality and no plans for DRM.

    --
    Robin Laing

    • Re: CD music file formats
      ... Bob Hartung wrote: ... I want to rip some very old CDs ... This player is able to play the original CDs, ... > references to MP3 encoding using Grip and Lame. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: cdparanoia rips all zeros
      ... I recently used grip to rip a CD and discovered that while the ... > tried just ripping to WAV using the cdparanoia command line, ... > resulting WAV files are all zeros (after what appears to be a small ...
      (Debian-User)
    • cdda2wav giving more than 700 MB of wav files
      ... 728MB of wav files from the original. ... I am using grip to rip the CD ... Since I am not familiar with cdda2wav, I was just wondering how does the ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: HowTo convert .mp3 to .wav
      ... > I have used cdparanoia to rip a cd, and now I have several .wav files I ... you want to use a generic scsi device with grip. ... set Generic SCSI device to /dev/sg0 or something similar. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: 2.6.19-rc2: known unfixed regressions (v3)
      ... Subject: unable to rip cd ... Submitter: Alex Romosan ... I just ripped track 2 of a Trace Adkins CD using grip and ... cdparanoia, then listened to the track in mplayer, while running ...
      (Linux-Kernel)