OT: Want to Build PC for Fedora Use - Hardware Questions

From: Clint Harshaw (clint_at_penguinsolutions.org)
Date: 07/01/04

    Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:36:22 -0400
    To: fedora-list@redhat.com

    Hi all:

    I'm wanting to try to build my own computer for home/office use with
    Fedora. I would like some help picking out some of the components to
    ensure that I'll have a good experience with the build and that all the
    things I typically use the computer for will work with a minimum of
    fuss. Here's a list of the things I use the computer for on a day-to-day
    basis:

    mozilla browswer/mail and mail, gaim, xmms, kaffeine, emacs, latex,
    xdvi, xpdf, grip, ogg files, gimp, basic perl scripts,
    mysql/php/phpmyadmin, apache

    I tend to like the fancier screensavers, like Ant Spotlight, just
    because they look cool to me ;-) and enjoy an occasional game of Tux
    Racer and Neverball. I'd like to be able to play DVD movies on this new
    machine.

    So I've been poking around newegg looking for what would make a good
    project for me to build and here's what I have come up with:

    ANTEC Life Style Series Black Case With 380W Power Supply, Model "SONATA"

    ASUS "P4P800-E Deluxe" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU

    ASUS nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out,
    8X AGP, Model "V9520/TD"

    Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading
    Technology

    Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

    Mitsumi Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model D359M3D/D359M3B

    Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD800JD

    Logitech Black Internet Keyboard PS/2 104keys

    Logitech SBF69 Optical Wheel Mouse PS/2

    TEAC 52X32X52 Internal EIDE CD-RW Combo Drive Black Bezel, Model DW-552G BLK

    I'd like some ideas about if this looks like a decent system, and if
    there are some changes that I ought to make to save some headaches
    and/or money. I have a couple of pre-built boxes that have nvidia cards
    in them, so I have gotten accustomed to the driver issues, but would
    really prefer something that was more in line with open source, so I
    could simply upgrade a kernel without the additional nvidia driver work.

    Do I even need a sound card, since the board comes with onboard audio?

    I sure would appreciate your opinions or suggestions. I'm horribly
    out-of-place when it comes to hardware and really need some help getting
    over this hurdle. Over the years, I have done individual component
    changes on machines that go down, but I've not ever picked out pieces
    from scratch.

    Thanks,
    Clint

    • Re: FC3 Fedora Core 3 - Problems with graphic card
      ... my son would give me the card back. ... With the NVidia Card the 3D didn't work either but then I would get ... The security in Fedora will keep you from ... It is likely that a security module for the PAM system may be ...
      (linux.redhat)
    • Re: Triple monitor/dual card issues with F12.
      ... nvidia blob drivers, fair enough. ... its when I enable the output on the second card that things go back. ... All three Displays were running fine using Xinerama with Fedora 11. ... I just checked the Nvidia Website for new beta drivers and found a new ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: nv verses the world
      ... > that' and that NVidia binary explodes with FC2. ... > only take me 20mins to go down to PCWorld and get another video card. ... > is totally supported by GPL drivers. ... I think after Fedora Core 2 will be finally released it will not take ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Stripes on screen after installing Fedora
      ... binary NVidia driver maintained by NVidia, ... driver is worse than the one that came with Fedora, ... pulled the nvidia card and put the old radeon back in. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 44, Issue 273
      ... Re: nvidia ... who updates them for new versions of Linux and/or Fedora. ... the few closed source drivers I have used ... Both USB memory drives, and USB hard drives work fine as long as ...
      (Fedora)