Samba domain master browser bound to wrong interface

From: Matt Hansen (helios82_at_optushome.com.au)
Date: 07/04/04

    To: fedora-list <fedora-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 11:34:15 +1000

    Recently, I altered my Samba config to correctly listen only on the
    internal interface (Samba is on the gateway so computer is multi-homed)
    using 'interfaces' and 'bind interfaces only' param's. After restarting
    the daemons, the following logs have been consistently appearing every 5
    mins since:

    *Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup SIMBA, subnet
    UNICAST_SUBNET.
    *become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server from IP
    127.0.0.1 for domain master browser name SIMBA<1b> on workgroup SIMBA
    * There is already a domain master browser at IP 210.49.xx.xx for
    workgroup SIMBA registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
    *Samba name server AMAZON is now a local master browser for workgroup
    SIMBA on subnet 192.168.1.1

    And a minute later this, but I think this is caused by the above
    problem:
    *Doing a node status request to the domain master browser for workgroup
    SIMBA at IP 210.49.xx.xx failed. Cannot sync browser lists.

    So it seems there's no problem becoming the LMB (local master) on the
    correct internal interface (192.168.1.1) but every attempt to become the
    DMB fails with the above errors. I tried ifdown'ing eth0 and restarting
    samba but that didn't help. Google had almost nothing on this particular
    error. I thought there would be a timeout for the current domain master
    and a new election would see that samba is now listening on a new IP
    address for the WINS server but this hasn't seemed to happen yet (I've
    left it a few days to test).

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Regards,
    Matt

    --
    "Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"
     - Bob Young on the benefits of the open source development model.