Re: Dual Opteron -- FC2 won't recognize RAM

From: Robert G. (Doc) Savage (dsavage_at_peaknet.net)
Date: 07/24/04

    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 23:50:16 -0500

    On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 22:36, Ed Hill wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Today, I installed FC2 on a dual Opteron-140 with 12Gig RAM. The
    > install would only work if I added "mem=1024M" or similar as a kernel
    > option.
    >
    > After the install (which went nicely), the system would only boot if
    > less than 4Gig was specified using the kernel option "mem=3900M" or
    > similar. Anything over 4Gig resulted in an immediate re-boot (reset?)
    > within a second or two of the attempted boot.
    >
    > This machine has successfully run both SuSE and RHEL v3. I would now
    > like to use FC2 but am disappointed by the (apparent?) lack of support
    > for 12Gig RAM. I've tried searching for information on Fedora large-RAM
    > support but am making not headway. Are there any special kernels or
    > options that I could try with FC2 to get it to recognize all of the RAM?
    >
    > Or should I just go back to RHEL 3?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Ed
    >
    > ===
    >
    > PS: System is an MSI-8131 MB with dual Opteron-140

    Ed,

    You might have better luck getting an answer to this question on the
    amd64-list. Most of us on the fedora-list haven't made the jump to
    64-bits yet.

    --Doc
    Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
    Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2197.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
    "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                             -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov