Re: Dual Opteron -- FC2 won't recognize RAM

From: Robert G. (Doc) Savage (dsavage_at_peaknet.net)
Date: 07/24/04

    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 23:50:16 -0500

    On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 22:36, Ed Hill wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Today, I installed FC2 on a dual Opteron-140 with 12Gig RAM. The
    > install would only work if I added "mem=1024M" or similar as a kernel
    > option.
    >
    > After the install (which went nicely), the system would only boot if
    > less than 4Gig was specified using the kernel option "mem=3900M" or
    > similar. Anything over 4Gig resulted in an immediate re-boot (reset?)
    > within a second or two of the attempted boot.
    >
    > This machine has successfully run both SuSE and RHEL v3. I would now
    > like to use FC2 but am disappointed by the (apparent?) lack of support
    > for 12Gig RAM. I've tried searching for information on Fedora large-RAM
    > support but am making not headway. Are there any special kernels or
    > options that I could try with FC2 to get it to recognize all of the RAM?
    >
    > Or should I just go back to RHEL 3?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Ed
    >
    > ===
    >
    > PS: System is an MSI-8131 MB with dual Opteron-140

    Ed,

    You might have better luck getting an answer to this question on the
    amd64-list. Most of us on the fedora-list haven't made the jump to
    64-bits yet.

    --Doc
    Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
    Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2197.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
    "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                             -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov

    • Malfunctioning system
      ... by moving the RAM module to the next slot. ... Ever since that Fedora won't boot. ... It complains about the USB modules ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: install problem of coure size of partation
      ... That is a very old version of Fedora, you ought to be able to run ... Boot really only needs to be something like 100 megs. ... OpenOffice is huge, and not having oodles of RAM to spare can make it ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: CentOS hangs on boot
      ... Regarding the Centos Boot issue. ... Knoppix is a very powerfull live boot cd. ... Will it support Fedora on the clients, ...
      (RedHat)
    • RE: fedora-list Digest, Vol 70, Issue 59
      ... Latest Kernel causes reboot hell ... Subject: Fedora on Macbook Air? ... Chad>When it comes to booting from a disk drive, I believe the Air only boot OS's ... someone decided to set up grub by default to hide its ...
      (Fedora)
    • help
      ... >> I realized that I did have a self boot disc and hunted it up. ... > the FC ISOs to the hard disk, and install from the hard disk. ... >> you could easily create your own fedora based live cd also. ... > That's the problem - you wrote the ISO image to cd as a single file. ...
      (Fedora)