Re: Is ssh not safe?

From: John Thompson (JohnThompson_at_new.rr.com)
Date: 07/24/04

    Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:06:34 -0500
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Kenneth Porter wrote:

    > --On Saturday, July 24, 2004 1:55 PM -0400 "Scot L. Harris"
    > <webid@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >> This has the added benefit that you will only need to have port 22 open
    >> for ssh since scp uses the same port.

    > For Windows users, WinSCP is a very nice transfer client.

    Win users can also use "pscp" or "psftp" which are part of the "PuTTY"
    ssh client package.

    *nix users will find scp and sftp included with the OpenSSH package.

    --
    -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

    • Re: Security basics
      ... to connect (and the -P parameter of scp) but in my opinion it's worth it. ... without complaint. ... will magically get ssh and scp to "know" the correct default port for ... any ssh activity to some.server.com. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: SSH
      ... So SSH, SFTP and SCP all go to port 22 by default? ... No, but if you must play with Unix, you must either live with the shell as is or modify it to suit your preferences. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: [opensuse] Coordinated, distributed ssh attacks?
      ... obscurity" approach by running my ssh daemon on a different port. ... Sure, it will stop scripted attacks, but it breaks rsync et al. ... See other postings in this thread - rsync, scp et al is not a problem, ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: ssh gives "Permission denied, please try again"
      ... port 22 on your internal machine, so you will need to keep ssh up to ... I configure the router to forward a different external port to 22 on my ... For good measure pick usernames that are none obvious, ... root/password: 163 times ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)
    • [NEWS] SSH service at Dell DRAC4 Denial of Service (Mocana)
      ... SSH service at Dell DRAC4 Denial of Service ... Dell Remote Access Card 4 allows customers to effectively manage ... After the use of such a port scanner, ...
      (Securiteam)