Image Editing slow in Fedora

From: Jon Shorie (jshorie_at_medinaco.org)
Date: 09/02/04

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:56:03 +0000

    We have some 300 dpi 24x36" greyscale scans of some of our plans. I am
    looking for an image editor that works with linux that is reasonably quick
    for working with these images. The fiels are saved as a tif image and are
    about 4 mb in size.

    When I load one of them into gimp, it balloons to about 90mb in size and
    performance is extremely poor. I have verified that gimp is not converting
    the image to RGB, but it still is too slow to use on a daily basis.

    If I load the image into windoze imaging, it stays as a 4mb image and
    performance is reasonable.

    I went through the documentation for gimp, but I did not see anything that
    looks useful. Any suggestions?

    • Re: IMAGE EDITOR & WEB BUILDER
      ... any sugestion about other webbuilder or image editor like photoshop ... David Bailey wrote: ... >> I wanted to edit an image with gimp, but because gimp can not handle ... >> builder under linux. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Image Editing slow in Fedora
      ... > looking for an image editor that works with linux that is reasonably quick ... The fiels are saved as a tif image and are ... > When I load one of them into gimp, it balloons to about 90mb in size and ... I have verified that gimp is not converting ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: How do I modify a selection ?
      ... The problem is, in the Linux world, they throw anything at you that would be considered in early alpha stage in Windows and call it a beta. ... You reread those 17 pages of known bugs, you wonder which the developers thought you might be refering to, you lose your time, it's a pain, you give up. ... "Now, if you'd tell me how you'd sharpen a whole picture and a selection in The Newest GIMP, I'd tell you how I think it should be done. ... And it wasn't really a question, just a way to say let's compare how awkward it is to do in The GIMP vs how it could be. ...
      (comp.graphics.apps.gimp)
    • Re: Goodbye Linux
      ... NN> i am also missing something as powerfull as photoshop in linux... ... NN> parallel windows installation on another partition. ... NN> maybe someone could now say: use GIMP. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Any Minolta/Sony users using UFRaw and GIMP?
      ... seriously get away from Linux and The Gimp. ... I'm saying that the OS' of choice are OS X and Windows and the core tool ... Linux would be okay for such if Adobe released Photoshop for Linux. ...
      (rec.photo.digital)