Image Editing slow in Fedora

From: Jon Shorie (jshorie_at_medinaco.org)
Date: 09/02/04

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:56:03 +0000

    We have some 300 dpi 24x36" greyscale scans of some of our plans. I am
    looking for an image editor that works with linux that is reasonably quick
    for working with these images. The fiels are saved as a tif image and are
    about 4 mb in size.

    When I load one of them into gimp, it balloons to about 90mb in size and
    performance is extremely poor. I have verified that gimp is not converting
    the image to RGB, but it still is too slow to use on a daily basis.

    If I load the image into windoze imaging, it stays as a 4mb image and
    performance is reasonable.

    I went through the documentation for gimp, but I did not see anything that
    looks useful. Any suggestions?