Re: vsftpd chrooted setup

From: Nina Pham (nina_at_gibbons.com)
Date: 09/03/04

    Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 14:01:47 -0700
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    attachment is vsftpd.conf. The chroot lines are commented out. With this
    file, vsftpd runs fine, but if uncommented line
    chroot_local_user=NO
    chroot_list_enable=YES
    chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list (This is set by default if
    chroot_list_enable=YES

    then after starting vsftpd, /sbin/service vsftpd status will give error
    message *"vsftpd dead but subsys locked".
    *Any idea?

    Jeff Vian wrote:

    >On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 12:56, NP wrote:
    >

    >>Hi, I've surfed around on the internet and found some document about
    >>setting up chroot for wu-ftp, but not for vsftpd. FC2 already have
    >>vsftpd installed, I'd like to set it up with chroot. I couldn't find the
    >>instruction to do this on vsftpd website. Anybody can help or can give
    >>me some websites I can go to look? Thanks
    >>

    >vsftpd by default does chroot.
    >
    >read the /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf file and man 5 vsftpd.conf
    >
    >For future reference, always check out the SEE ALSO section of a man
    >page for other references.

    # Example config file /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf
    #
    # The default compiled in settings are fairly paranoid. This sample file
    # loosens things up a bit, to make the ftp daemon more usable.
    # Please see vsftpd.conf.5 for all compiled in defaults.
    #
    # READ THIS: This example file is NOT an exhaustive list of vsftpd options.
    # Please read the vsftpd.conf.5 manual page to get a full idea of vsftpd's
    # capabilities.
    #
    # Allow anonymous FTP? (Beware - allowed by default if you comment this out).
    anonymous_enable=YES
    anon_root=/home/ftpsecure
    ftp_username=ftpsecure

    #
    # Uncomment this to allow local users to log in.
    local_enable=NO
    #
    # Uncomment this to enable any form of FTP write command.
    write_enable=YES
    #
    # Default umask for local users is 077. You may wish to change this to 022,
    # if your users expect that (022 is used by most other ftpd's)
    local_umask=022
    anon_umask=022
    #
    # Uncomment this to allow the anonymous FTP user to upload files. This only
    # has an effect if the above global write enable is activated. Also, you will
    # obviously need to create a directory writable by the FTP user.
    anon_upload_enable=YES
    #
    # Uncomment this if you want the anonymous FTP user to be able to create
    # new directories.
    #anon_mkdir_write_enable=YES
    #
    # Activate directory messages - messages given to remote users when they
    # go into a certain directory.
    #dirmessage_enable=YES
    #
    # Activate logging of uploads/downloads.
    xferlog_enable=YES
    #
    # Make sure PORT transfer connections originate from port 20 (ftp-data).
    connect_from_port_20=YES
    #
    # If you want, you can arrange for uploaded anonymous files to be owned by
    # a different user. Note! Using "root" for uploaded files is not
    # recommended!
    #chown_uploads=YES
    #chown_username=whoever
    #
    # You may override where the log file goes if you like. The default is shown
    # below.
    #xferlog_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
    #
    # If you want, you can have your log file in standard ftpd xferlog format
    xferlog_std_format=YES
    #
    # You may change the default value for timing out an idle session.
    idle_session_timeout=600
    #
    # You may change the default value for timing out a data connection.
    data_connection_timeout=120
    #
    # It is recommended that you define on your system a unique user which the
    # ftp server can use as a totally isolated and unprivileged user.
    #nopriv_user=ftpsecure
    #
    # Enable this and the server will recognise asynchronous ABOR requests. Not
    # recommended for security (the code is non-trivial). Not enabling it,
    # however, may confuse older FTP clients.
    #async_abor_enable=YES
    #
    # By default the server will pretend to allow ASCII mode but in fact ignore
    # the request. Turn on the below options to have the server actually do ASCII
    # mangling on files when in ASCII mode.
    # Beware that turning on ascii_download_enable enables malicious remote parties
    # to consume your I/O resources, by issuing the command "SIZE /big/file" in
    # ASCII mode.
    # These ASCII options are split into upload and download because you may wish
    # to enable ASCII uploads (to prevent uploaded scripts etc. from breaking),
    # without the DoS risk of SIZE and ASCII downloads. ASCII mangling should be
    # on the client anyway..
    #ascii_upload_enable=YES
    #ascii_download_enable=YES
    #
    # You may fully customise the login banner string:
    ftpd_banner=Welcome to secure FTP service.
    #
    # You may specify a file of disallowed anonymous e-mail addresses. Apparently
    # useful for combatting certain DoS attacks.
    #deny_email_enable=YES
    # (default follows)
    #banned_email_file=/etc/vsftpd.banned_emails
    #
    # local users will not be directed to their home directory upon login.
    # instead, users listed in /etc/vsftpd.chroot_list will be.
    #chroot_local_user=NO # default

    # You may specify an explicit list of local users to chroot() to their home
    # directory. If chroot_local_user is YES, then this list becomes a list of
    # users to NOT chroot().
    #chroot_list_enable=YES
    # (default follows)
    #chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list
    #
    # You may activate the "-R" option to the builtin ls. This is disabled by
    # default to avoid remote users being able to cause excessive I/O on large
    # sites. However, some broken FTP clients such as "ncftp" and "mirror" assume
    # the presence of the "-R" option, so there is a strong case for enabling it.
    #ls_recurse_enable=YES

    pam_service_name=vsftpd
    userlist_enable=YES
    #enable for standalone mode