Re: vsftpd chrooted setup

From: Nina Pham (nina_at_gibbons.com)
Date: 09/03/04

    Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 14:01:47 -0700
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    attachment is vsftpd.conf. The chroot lines are commented out. With this
    file, vsftpd runs fine, but if uncommented line
    chroot_local_user=NO
    chroot_list_enable=YES
    chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list (This is set by default if
    chroot_list_enable=YES

    then after starting vsftpd, /sbin/service vsftpd status will give error
    message *"vsftpd dead but subsys locked".
    *Any idea?

    Jeff Vian wrote:

    >On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 12:56, NP wrote:
    >

    >>Hi, I've surfed around on the internet and found some document about
    >>setting up chroot for wu-ftp, but not for vsftpd. FC2 already have
    >>vsftpd installed, I'd like to set it up with chroot. I couldn't find the
    >>instruction to do this on vsftpd website. Anybody can help or can give
    >>me some websites I can go to look? Thanks
    >>

    >vsftpd by default does chroot.
    >
    >read the /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf file and man 5 vsftpd.conf
    >
    >For future reference, always check out the SEE ALSO section of a man
    >page for other references.

    # Example config file /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf
    #
    # The default compiled in settings are fairly paranoid. This sample file
    # loosens things up a bit, to make the ftp daemon more usable.
    # Please see vsftpd.conf.5 for all compiled in defaults.
    #
    # READ THIS: This example file is NOT an exhaustive list of vsftpd options.
    # Please read the vsftpd.conf.5 manual page to get a full idea of vsftpd's
    # capabilities.
    #
    # Allow anonymous FTP? (Beware - allowed by default if you comment this out).
    anonymous_enable=YES
    anon_root=/home/ftpsecure
    ftp_username=ftpsecure

    #
    # Uncomment this to allow local users to log in.
    local_enable=NO
    #
    # Uncomment this to enable any form of FTP write command.
    write_enable=YES
    #
    # Default umask for local users is 077. You may wish to change this to 022,
    # if your users expect that (022 is used by most other ftpd's)
    local_umask=022
    anon_umask=022
    #
    # Uncomment this to allow the anonymous FTP user to upload files. This only
    # has an effect if the above global write enable is activated. Also, you will
    # obviously need to create a directory writable by the FTP user.
    anon_upload_enable=YES
    #
    # Uncomment this if you want the anonymous FTP user to be able to create
    # new directories.
    #anon_mkdir_write_enable=YES
    #
    # Activate directory messages - messages given to remote users when they
    # go into a certain directory.
    #dirmessage_enable=YES
    #
    # Activate logging of uploads/downloads.
    xferlog_enable=YES
    #
    # Make sure PORT transfer connections originate from port 20 (ftp-data).
    connect_from_port_20=YES
    #
    # If you want, you can arrange for uploaded anonymous files to be owned by
    # a different user. Note! Using "root" for uploaded files is not
    # recommended!
    #chown_uploads=YES
    #chown_username=whoever
    #
    # You may override where the log file goes if you like. The default is shown
    # below.
    #xferlog_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
    #
    # If you want, you can have your log file in standard ftpd xferlog format
    xferlog_std_format=YES
    #
    # You may change the default value for timing out an idle session.
    idle_session_timeout=600
    #
    # You may change the default value for timing out a data connection.
    data_connection_timeout=120
    #
    # It is recommended that you define on your system a unique user which the
    # ftp server can use as a totally isolated and unprivileged user.
    #nopriv_user=ftpsecure
    #
    # Enable this and the server will recognise asynchronous ABOR requests. Not
    # recommended for security (the code is non-trivial). Not enabling it,
    # however, may confuse older FTP clients.
    #async_abor_enable=YES
    #
    # By default the server will pretend to allow ASCII mode but in fact ignore
    # the request. Turn on the below options to have the server actually do ASCII
    # mangling on files when in ASCII mode.
    # Beware that turning on ascii_download_enable enables malicious remote parties
    # to consume your I/O resources, by issuing the command "SIZE /big/file" in
    # ASCII mode.
    # These ASCII options are split into upload and download because you may wish
    # to enable ASCII uploads (to prevent uploaded scripts etc. from breaking),
    # without the DoS risk of SIZE and ASCII downloads. ASCII mangling should be
    # on the client anyway..
    #ascii_upload_enable=YES
    #ascii_download_enable=YES
    #
    # You may fully customise the login banner string:
    ftpd_banner=Welcome to secure FTP service.
    #
    # You may specify a file of disallowed anonymous e-mail addresses. Apparently
    # useful for combatting certain DoS attacks.
    #deny_email_enable=YES
    # (default follows)
    #banned_email_file=/etc/vsftpd.banned_emails
    #
    # local users will not be directed to their home directory upon login.
    # instead, users listed in /etc/vsftpd.chroot_list will be.
    #chroot_local_user=NO # default

    # You may specify an explicit list of local users to chroot() to their home
    # directory. If chroot_local_user is YES, then this list becomes a list of
    # users to NOT chroot().
    #chroot_list_enable=YES
    # (default follows)
    #chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list
    #
    # You may activate the "-R" option to the builtin ls. This is disabled by
    # default to avoid remote users being able to cause excessive I/O on large
    # sites. However, some broken FTP clients such as "ncftp" and "mirror" assume
    # the presence of the "-R" option, so there is a strong case for enabling it.
    #ls_recurse_enable=YES

    pam_service_name=vsftpd
    userlist_enable=YES
    #enable for standalone mode
    listen=YES
    tcp_wrappers=YES

    • Re: VSFTPD not working after upgrade from FC3 to FC4
      ... > be a success with the exception of VSFTPD which does not work anymore. ... > I have VSFTPD to be configured to use virtual users using the example ... > the machine was as an ftp server, it is somewhat worthless right now. ... Possibly the chroot environment. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: How security of chroot?
      ... >>Keith, If you're going to use FTP, you should be using vsFTPd ... >>If you're wanting to do chroot at ssh level (hence posting to THIS ... If you want to make download/upload trivial for everyone, vsftpd (which ... is an FTP daemon). ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • vsftpd doesnt start - subsytem locked
      ... I have a RedHat 9 box with vsftpd installed. ... I am starting vsftpd as a service, and there is nothing about ftp in the ... # Uncomment this to allow the anonymous FTP user to upload files. ... # mangling on files when in ASCII mode. ...
      (linux.redhat)
    • RE: vsftpd v1.1.0 not allowing user logon (but anonymous is allow ed)
      ... The wu-ftpd FTP server serves FTP connections. ... Asunto: RE: vsftpd v1.1.0 not allowing user logon ... > registered office of each company is at Booths Hall, Chelford Road, ... relevant UK operating company and are confidential and intended for the use ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: hack attempt on my server...What do you do about this?
      ... the first option is not to run vsftpd at all. ... which you can not do using sftp to log into you box. ... You don't need a separate ftp server to run it, ...
      (Fedora)