Re: LPP Sharing Problem

From: Jeff Vian (jvian10_at_charter.net)
Date: 09/06/04

    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 03:11:40 -0500

    On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 01:44, Norman Nunn wrote:
    > Jeff,
    >
    > Thanks for the input. Is it ok to use the host ip address as input to
    > the system-printer-config tool for "server" on the remote PC? I have
    > also been trying to determine what to use as the "path" (with the config
    > tool above on the same setup screen) on that PC as well. I also added a
    > few responses below.
    >
    > Norm
    >
    > On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 20:05, Jeff Vian wrote:
    > > On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 20:55, Norman Nunn wrote:
    > > > I have been trying unsuccessfully to setup a Cups printer for sharing on
    > > > the second PC of my home network. Sure would appreciate a lead to get
    > > >
    > > The mach with the printer attached can use /dev/lp0 (if it is a parallel
    > > printer). The remote machine cannot use /dev/lp0. It needs to use ipp
    > > or samba. You indicated it was set up for sharing -- I assume you mean
    > > vis the system-config-printer tool. That should set it up for ipp on
    > > port 631.
    > >
    > Yes, that is how I set up the local printer initially. Don't know what
    > to use for the host pc path on the remote pc. The help documentation
    > indicates this is the queue path.

    for server put in the IP address (hostname if you configure it in
    /etc/hosts)

    for path use the default(/printers/queue1) but change the last bit
    "queue1" to the actual queue name on the server.

    I tested this on my PC and put in the IP address for server and
    /printers/laser for the path and it just worked. I used an existing
    print queue on my server and set the remote host to print "raw" to it.

    NOTE: the queue used for IPP printing must be set for sharing as you
    already surmised.

    There are 2 things you need to be aware of.
    1. If the IPP print queue on the server is defined as raw, then the
    proper printer driver needs to be selected on the host sending the print
    job.
    2. If the IPP print queue on the server is set for the proper printer
    driver, then the host sending the job must be set to print to a raw
    queue (it will be processed by the printer driver on the server).

    This is because the job can only be processed thru the driver once for
    formatting/printing.

    > > The queue name on the remote system MUST be the queue name it was
    > > defined as on the print server. On mine I have the laser printer with
    > > queue name 'laser'.
    >
    > I changed the name but the test page still did not work.
    >
    > > Hostname will only work if you have the hostname/IP mapping done via DNS
    > > or /etc/hosts. You cannot use localhost.localdomain as the hostname for
    > > a remote print server (unless you are using ipp to print locally).
    > >

    > I did not change the hostname yet. I assume I don't need too, and I can have
    > a /dev/lp0 and an ipp printer on the same PC?

    Yes, you can have as many queues as you choose and of any type you
    choose on a single PC. (I have 3 different queues for a single printer
    because I wanted to set the print quality -- 300dpi, 600dpi, and 1200dpi
    for draft thru final quality on a color printer) I also have 2 different
    queues for my laser - raw for use with IPP and with the driver for local
    printing.

    • Enterprise Print Server problems and suggestions
      ... These are the primary print server issues we have: ... It is unfortunately common to find a queue on the wrong server, ... Determining who installed a driver and/or where the ... Without increasing the size of the system event log this gives us only a few ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
    • Re: Server 2003 32-bit Queue with XP Pro 64-bit
      ... You will need to install the vendors x64 print driver onto the XP machine. ... Open the remote printers folder, File, Server Properties, Drivers, Add ... that does the print billing uses the server queue to monitor for print ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
    • Re: Have to keep Stopping and Starting print spooler
      ... Laser 4600 print driver targeting the same network port. ... The port on the server is set up as a standard TCP/IP ... Most likely you will find that admins can print to this device since the ... someone tries to use it their job sits in the queue for the printer, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
    • Re: Server 2003 32-bit Queue with XP Pro 64-bit
      ... So I'm on the server console. ... how can I add the x64 driver? ... that does the print billing uses the server queue to monitor for print ... I can't even install the printer from the ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
    • Re: SmallBusiness SMTP Connector Queue Stacking Up
      ... the host of our web site and POP e-mail accounts ... (though it isn't the exact IP of the outgoing server). ... day I noticed messages stacking up in the queue. ... smarthost. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)