Re: Problem with first fedora install

From: John DeDourek (dedourek_at_unb.ca)
Date: 10/06/04

    Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:16:24 -0300
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    See Bugzilla bugs 115458, 125348, 129832, 129838. I sure
    wish we could find someone with the background to fix this.
    I have several machines waiting on Fedora Core 2 because
    of this. Unfortunately, I am not yet enough of a kernel
    hacker to understand how to debug the problem. I believe
    that it is an issue with the CDRom driver in the kernel
    that is used with the install. BTW, I keep trying the
    test versions in the hope that this has been fixed. Up
    to Fedora3-Test2 the problem still prevents installation
    on the problem machines. (N.B. Many people reporting
    the problem have given up on a software fix and simply
    replaced the CDRom drive with a newer one. That usually
    fixes the problem, apparently. If that is an option in
    your case, that might be quicker than finding someone who
    can fix this bug.) N.B.2 My quick impression is that this
    is a subtle timing bug caused by a slower CDRom drive and
    lack of a crucial "lock" in the kernel to prevent a race
    condition where an interrupt occurs at an unexpected point.
    I suspect that the hangup in fixing the problem is finding
    a developer who uses an older CDRom drive and so can duplicate
    the problem. My suggestion would be to pair someone with
    a problem machine who could supply debugging information
    with a developer who has the background to find a kernel
    race condition. Any takers?