Moving Along with Fedora!

From: David Mamanakis (efialtis_at_efialtis.com)
Date: 10/07/04

    Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:24:06 -0600 (MDT)
    To: fedora-list@redhat.com

    Greetings!
    I know most of you really might not care, but I thought I would introduce
    myself, and ask a question or two...
    I am David Mamanakis, I live in S. Ogden, UT and I worked for Microsoft for 6
    years, dealing mostly with the Operating Systems...

    Currently I have decided that I am sick of it...Longhorn, the next version of
    Microsquat Bloatware, is just too much...
    I have decided to move on with other options, and I came across Fedora.

    Currently I have it installed on 2 of my 6 machines, and with both machines,
    it is the primary OS (no Windows installed).
    These machines are a Dell Percision 220 (dual proc) and my old laptop, Toshiba
    Protege 7200.

    I am preping another 2 machines to run Linux/Windows XP dual boot.

    Because I have limited exposure to Unix/Linux I would like to ask a question
    about the directory structure of Linux...
    When I installed, I used the "auto setup" thing, and let it have at it...
    Now I have all kinds of directories like "\" and "\root" and "\usr"...

    What I would like to know, and feel free to mail me directly, or point me to a
    web resource, but I would like to know the windows equivelent of the linux
    directories...
    C:\ = ??? in linux system
    C:\Windows = ??? in linux
    C:\Program Files = ??? in linux
    etc...
    or better yet, run it backwards...
    \ = ??? in windows system
    \root = ??? in windows
    \usr = ??? in windows

    This would help me navigate and get comfortable with the new system...

    I have other questions, but one thing at a time...

    Thanks for any help, and I look forward to becoming part of the Linux community!

    --E