Moving Along with Fedora!

From: David Mamanakis (efialtis_at_efialtis.com)
Date: 10/07/04

    Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:24:06 -0600 (MDT)
    To: fedora-list@redhat.com

    Greetings!
    I know most of you really might not care, but I thought I would introduce
    myself, and ask a question or two...
    I am David Mamanakis, I live in S. Ogden, UT and I worked for Microsoft for 6
    years, dealing mostly with the Operating Systems...

    Currently I have decided that I am sick of it...Longhorn, the next version of
    Microsquat Bloatware, is just too much...
    I have decided to move on with other options, and I came across Fedora.

    Currently I have it installed on 2 of my 6 machines, and with both machines,
    it is the primary OS (no Windows installed).
    These machines are a Dell Percision 220 (dual proc) and my old laptop, Toshiba
    Protege 7200.

    I am preping another 2 machines to run Linux/Windows XP dual boot.

    Because I have limited exposure to Unix/Linux I would like to ask a question
    about the directory structure of Linux...
    When I installed, I used the "auto setup" thing, and let it have at it...
    Now I have all kinds of directories like "\" and "\root" and "\usr"...

    What I would like to know, and feel free to mail me directly, or point me to a
    web resource, but I would like to know the windows equivelent of the linux
    directories...
    C:\ = ??? in linux system
    C:\Windows = ??? in linux
    C:\Program Files = ??? in linux
    etc...
    or better yet, run it backwards...
    \ = ??? in windows system
    \root = ??? in windows
    \usr = ??? in windows

    This would help me navigate and get comfortable with the new system...

    I have other questions, but one thing at a time...

    Thanks for any help, and I look forward to becoming part of the Linux community!

    --E

    • Re: Need tutorials, guides... However...
      ... performance loss you'll get from an OS like Windows or Linux. ... machines out there have gone off in many different directions. ... expect to find certain hardware at certain addressess. ...
      (alt.lang.asm)
    • Re: M$ attack on Common Sense
      ... > (Note that not all Unix virii can effect Linux and vice versa, ... > virii, if you don't run Windows, you don't need to be doing that, now do ... Compare machines AND take into consideration what they are for. ... Install means changing the system so the program will run. ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: M$ attack on Common Sense
      ... > (Note that not all Unix virii can effect Linux and vice versa, ... > virii, if you don't run Windows, you don't need to be doing that, now do ... Compare machines AND take into consideration what they are for. ... Install means changing the system so the program will run. ...
      (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
    • Re: M$ attack on Common Sense
      ... > (Note that not all Unix virii can effect Linux and vice versa, ... > virii, if you don't run Windows, you don't need to be doing that, now do ... Compare machines AND take into consideration what they are for. ... Install means changing the system so the program will run. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Video editing in Linux?
      ... >> or the desire to screw other people's machines up. ... >manufacturwers knew they could sell enough to putrely windows users to ... Does linux take full advantage of your graphics card? ... PC plugin to a plugin within a linux application? ...
      (alt.linux)