Re: Change the host name

From: Alexander Dalloz (alexander.dalloz_at_uni-bielefeld.de)
Date: 10/14/04

    Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 05:28:24 +0200
    To: Daniel Harrison <dgharrison@gmail.com>, For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Am Do, den 14.10.2004 schrieb Daniel Harrison um 4:55:

    > i've set up my box with the the name "hector", however recenetly i
    > aquired a domain name, what i want to do is set the host name to be
    > the fully qualified domain name hector.domain.name

    > Dan

    The hostname is set in /etc/sysconfig/network in HOSTNAME. Be sure you
    adjust /etc/hosts file accordingly.

    Alexander

    Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
    Serendipity 05:27:12 up 38 min, 16 average: 1.62, 1.33, 0.90

    • Re: samba client in big workgroup
      ... localhost is no good name choice for a host in a network ... no valid NMB hostname but certainly no hostname set and is running as ... Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: domain name
      ... I never had a problem with the hostname. ... troubles when the host is a server on the 'Net with a static IP and ... Seems to me it should return "localhost" in that case, ... configuration internally consistent with a private configuration in ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: hostnames and interfaces
      ... Apache documentation on doing virtual hosts and maybe do some ... A fully Qualified Host Name consists of two main parts. ... During installation, when it asks for hostname, it wants a Fully ... service what DNS server will be providing DNS service for that domain. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: /bin/hostname
      ... Find a real news server. ... in /etc/hosts that maps the host and the FQDN to the static IP ... Linux distributions are supposed to follow Linux Standard Base standards, ... hostname -- show or set the system's host name ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Renaming machine and /etc/hosts
      ... Note that "localhost" is as has been described, ... machine's actual hostname - so this machine can /only/ find itself as ... qualified hostname for the loopback IP numbers. ... Ethernet and send traffic to it from this host it will be looped too. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)