Re: Networks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

From: Thomas Cameron (thomas.cameron_at_camerontech.com)
Date: 10/17/04

    To: pscherz@earthlink.net, For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:19:33 -0500

    On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 20:36 -0500, Phil Scherzinger wrote:
    > I have two computers. Each wired to a linksys broadband router. The
    > see and can access the outside world, but I can not telenet or ftp
    > them. I can ping the ip address that the router (with dhcp) has given
    > them.
    >
    > What I would like to do is:
    >
    > 1. be able to share files between the two boxes, like nfs.
    > 2. be able to address the boxes by a name rather then a number
    > 3. make telnet, ftp and ssh work between the two
    > 4. because the router uses dhcp, can I get the same ip on each box
    > everytime?
    >

    > I know this is a big task, but can some one help me get started?
    >

    > Phil Scherzinger
    > pscherz@earthlink.net

    Wow, Paul. Not asking much, are you? :-)

    For future reference, please do not post to the list in HTML. It looks
    like you are using Earthlink's mail. I don't know how to turn HTML off
    there, but you should really investigate that.

    Answers below:

    1) You said you wanted to "share files between the two boxes, like
    nfs."

    To run an NFS server you need at the very least the portmap, nfslock and
    nfs services to run. To do this, run these commands as root:

    chkconfig portmap on
    chkconfig nfslock on
    chkconfig nfs on

    After that, you can run the commands:

    service portmap restart
    service nfslock restart
    service nfs restart

    Now, since you are asking these services to restart and they may or may
    not already be running, you might see some [FAILED] errors when the try
    to shut down. No worries there, ignore it.

    Next, you will need to decide what part of your hard drive to share (in
    the Linux and Unix world, sharing a section of your hard drive is called
    "exporting a filesystem"). For example's sake, I will pretend you've
    decided to export the /home directory. The file you will want to modify
    is /etc/exports. It's a plain text file and you can edit it with your
    favorite text editor. You will add a line that looks something like
    this:

    /home *(ro)

    This shares the /home directory to everyone (this is really bad security
    but is the most simple setup). The asterisk (*) is a wildcard meaning
    "everyone." The (ro) means that the directory is shared read only.
    Please run the command:

    man exports

    for a better explanation of the format for the /etc/exports file.

    Once you have the exports file set up, you can run the command:

    exportfs -a

    This will export all the filesystems listed in /etc/exports. Please
    issue the command:

    man exportfs

    for more details.

    2) You said you wanted to be able to "address the boxes by a name
    rather then a number." There are a number of ways you can do that. For
    now, since you are new, I will describe what I consider the easiest way
    to do it.

    There is a file called /etc/hosts. It's syntax is like this:

    10.20.30.40 fullname.example.com alias

    The first part is the ip address of the host you are identifying. The
    second field is the fully qualified domain name (FQDN), also referred to
    as the canonical hostname, of the host. The third field is the alias or
    short name of the host.

    So, if you have two computers called bill.example.com and
    ted.example.com, and bill.example.com has the address 192.168.0.101 and
    ted.example.com has the address 192.168.0.102, then your hosts file
    might have the following two lines in it:

    192.168.0.101 bill.example.com bill
    192.168.0.102 ted.example.com ted

    Note that these lines need to be there on both bill's and ted's hosts
    file!

    You will find that the hosts file seems messed up on each of the
    machines when you first open it. On bill it will probably llok like
    this:

    127.0.0.1 localhost.locadomain localhost bill.example.com bill

    It's like that for a reason, but if you are going to assign static
    addresses then you can fix it so it looks like this:

    127.0.0.1 localhost.locadomain localhost
    192.168.0.101 bill.example.com bill
    192.168.0.102 ted.example.com ted

    Please issue the command:

    man hosts

    for further details.

    3) You said you wanted to "make telnet, ftp and ssh work between the
    two." Well, to do that, you need to make sure that the telnet, ftp and
    ssh servers and clients are installed.

    Run this command:

    rpm -qa | egrep "telnet|ssh|ftp"

    You want to make sure that the following (at least) are installed:

    telnet-server
    telnet
    openssh-server
    openssh-clients
    vsftpd
    ftp

    Having said that, I strongly recommend that you NOT use telnet - it is
    horribly insecure. ssh is just as easy to use and it doesn't send your
    password in plain text over the network. IMHO, telnet is a Bad Thing
    (TM). I will include the instructions for telnet below in case you
    really really like to be wild and dangerous.

    Anyway, once you see that the servers are installed, you will want to do
    this:

    chkconfig telnet on
    chkconfig vsftpd on
    chkconfig sshd on

    service vsftpd restart
    service sshd restart

    You don't need to worry about the telnet daemon - it is handled by
    xinetd and xinetd restarts when one of the services it manages is turned
    on by chkconfig.

    So, once that is done, you can test connectivity between each box. To
    test ftp, issue the command:

    ftp bill.example.com

    Obviously you will substitute your hostname for bill.example.com.

    To test ssh, you will issue the command:

    ssh user@bill.example.com

    Substitute your user and hostname.

    For telnet, you can just issue the command:

    telnet bill.example.com

    with the appropriate substitutions.

    Please issue the following commands:

    man vsftd
    man vsftd.conf
    man telnetd
    man telnet
    man sshd
    man sshd_config
    man ssh

    for more info on all these services.

    4) You asked "can I get the same ip on each box everytime?" Yes, you
    can. You can do it two ways.

    The first is via static DHCP assignments on your DHCP server (the
    broadband router you have). Read the instructions that came with it - I
    don't know what you have so I can't help you there.

    The second is to not use DHCP for your Linux hosts. To statically
    assign addresses, issue either the command:

    system-config-network

    or

    netconfig

    Since you are new, I recommend you use system-config-network from inside
    your GUI so that you can access the most excellent manual from the Help
    menu.

    In either case, you will want to assign your static ip address (like
    192.168.0.101), your hostname, and so on. Read the manual for full
    details.

    I hope that you've found this information helpful. In the future, you
    might seriously consider asking one question per post. I almost deleted
    your post because you asked so much information all at once. It is more
    likely that someone will see a single question and fire off a quick
    answer than to write the volume that I've written here.

    Cheers!

    --
    A: Because people read from top to bottom
    Q: Why is top posting bad?

    • Re: Networks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
      ... > service portmap restart ... > Once you have the exports file set up, you can run the command: ... > Note that these lines need to be there on both bill's and ted's hosts ... Well, to do that, you need to make sure that the telnet, ftp and ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Smart Host Send Connector Problems
      ... If you open a telnet prompt, does it respond on that port? ... To run telnet, go into a CMD prompt, type in telnet, hit enter. ... The command window changes to the telnet command prompt. ... No restart necessary. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: How to remote control the device using command line input from PC?
      ... It somewhat different, use telnet instead. ... Just open command prompt window on your development machine ... ActiveSync can't work over RNIDS connection ... You can use USB serial function instead ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
    • RE: Cant access SOME sites on one particular XP account on TWO PC
      ... Command RUN and type every line or entrance alone and preess OK after each ... About hte HOSTS text file is in the following Path on *Window Explorer* ... "nass" wrote: ... Remember that ONE account on the PC it works fine on BOTH accounts. ...
    • Re: Emails stuck in queue error 451 4.4.0 Primary target IP addres
      ... If you had just said "Siv you forgot to include the port number in the ... Telnet command" in your first response after asking me to carry out the ... I said earlier I am not familiar with telnet, I have probably used it twice ... Connecting To smtp.surfdsl.net...Could not open connection to the host, ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.misc)