Re: problems with upgrade from RH9 to FC2

From: James Wilkinson (james_at_westexe.demon.co.uk)
Date: 10/18/04

    Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:50:43 +0100
    To: fedora-list@redhat.com

    I asked:

    > Do you have any *.rpmnew files in /etc?

    (and followed up to say I meant "in or under"...)

    Gary Parker replied:

    > Am I looking for an old config file for comparison?

    Sort of. If you've modified a configuration file that belongs to an RPM
    package, and then you upgrade the package, the modified configuration
    file is left in place. The new configuration file from the new RPM file
    is saved as a *.rpmnew file.

    Usually, this will be the Right Thing, because modifications to the
    configuration file will usually be cosmetic or changed defaults (and if
    you've modified the file, presumably you checked the settings and were
    happy with the way they were).

    Occasionally, the configuration requirements will change sufficiently
    that the old file will no longer do. Ideally, either the RPM packaging
    or the program will handle this case. This doesn't always happen. I
    suspect that this could have happened to you.

    Hope this helps,

    James.

    --
    E-mail address: james | "Now I've got the bead on you with MY disintegrating
    @westexe.demon.co.uk  | gun.  And when it disintegrates, it disintegrates.
                          | (pulls trigger)  Well, what you do know,
                          | it disintegrated."  -- Daffy Duck

    • Re: Equivalent of apt-get purge for yum
      ... When I did 'rpm -ql mysql-server' with the package coming from remi's ... I guess so that this package is not complete. ... For exemple I don't have my.cnf configuration file anywhere in the file ...
      (RedHat)
    • Recover configuration file with rpm
      ... I edited a configuration file and didn't save the original:) and now ... I have a copy of the package sitting in my yum cache, ... rpm did its thing, but didn't give me a new smb.conf. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Purge all removed packages ?
      ... command to remove files that are part of a package but which are user editable and preserved when the main body of the package is removed. ... The port installs sample configuration files which you have to copy ... Thus the configuration file ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • RE: [opensuse] How do I keep monitor from going to sleep
      ... install from source, etc., as opposed to say Windows, which will decide ... Isn't it really a matter of Windows not automatically installing third-party ... There really is no package manager analogy for Windows, ... can't change your configuration file automatically as it is not designed ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Creating configuration file failing
      ... pszItemName, Int32 cFilesToOpen, StringrgpszFilesToOpen, IntPtr hwndDlg) ... Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Shell.Project.FileProjectHierarchy.Ru-nWizard(String wizardName, String newItemName) ... So I removed the existing configuration file through the provided ... wrong in this package. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.dts)