Re: Choosing kernel automatically at Boot - Beginner -

From: Ben Steeves (ben.steeves_at_gmail.com)
Date: 10/25/04

    Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:41:36 -0300
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:32:09 -0700 (PDT), joshua neff
    <joshua_neff@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I open the terminal, logged in as root, typed "chmod
    > +w /etc/grub.conf" and it still gives me a permission
    > denied message.

    I'm guessing that's 'cos you typed "/etc/grub.conf" at the command
    prompt -- which means to the shell you were trying to execute
    grub.conf. Grub.conf is not executable (check the permission bits on
    the underlying actual file (/boot/grub/grub.conf) and you'll find it's
    only readable and writable by the owner (root).

    > I did open grub.conf with vi, though.
    > "Default=1" Before I go ahead and change anything, I
    > want to be absolutely sure I'm doing the right thing.
    > If I set the default to 0, will it boot with kernel
    > 2.6.8 by default (instead of 2.6.5 being the default)?
    > Or do I need to set the default to something else to
    > get 2.6.8 to be the default kernel?

    Using vi (or some other editor) is what the initial respondant
    expected you to do.

    Default=x , where x is the number of the clause to choose
    automatically after the value of seconds in "timeout" has expired.
    The clauses are counted from 0. So, if the first clause (denoted by
    the initial keyword "title", the only non-indented line) is the one
    with the newest kernel, that is the one you want.

    After you successfully boot with the new kernel, you can remove the
    old kernels with an "rpm -e kernel-{version}" -- and grub.conf will
    automatically get cleaned up for you.

    --
    Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs@metacon.ca
     The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves@gmail.com