Re: Hard disk parts

From: Charles Curley (charlescurley_at_charlescurley.com)
Date: 12/28/04

    Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:03:12 -0700
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 05:29:03PM +0300, Tammar K. Ajam wrote:
    > Hi, to all.
    > I have two hard drives. one of them is for Windows XP installation and
    > the other is for Fedora 3 installation.
    > Each boot loader for the two system reside in the same MBR where the
    > system installed. i mean each system has its own hard disk.
    > each time i run Partition magic 8 under windows it's report that the
    > Hard disk two (The Fedora hard disk installation) is damage.
    > Partition magic work fine with Fedora core 1,2 and Redhat 9.
    > i try to use the ext2 but the same thing happen to me.
    > So is the problem with the boot loader.
    > dose this problem will damage my hard drive. or it's safe and a normal
    > state.

    You are probably fine.

    There is no standard for hard drive partitioning (and some companies
    wouldn't follow it if there were one), so there are variations.

    In general, check partitions for a given OS with that OS's
    tools. Check your Windows HD with Windows tools, and your Linux HD
    with Linux tools. However, there are three different versions of fdisk
    for Linux, and they may report different results on the same
    partitions.