Re: Re: Hard disk parts

From: Tammar K. Ajam (
Date: 12/28/04

    Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:24:30 +0300
    To: "For users of Fedora Core release" <>

    >On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 05:29:03PM +0300, Tammar K. Ajam wrote:
    >> Hi, to all.
    >> I have two hard drives. one of them is for Windows XP installation and
    >> the other is for Fedora 3 installation.
    >> Each boot loader for the two system reside in the same MBR where the
    >> system installed. i mean each system has its own hard disk.
    >> each time i run Partition magic 8 under windows it's report that the
    >> Hard disk two (The Fedora hard disk installation) is damage.
    >> Partition magic work fine with Fedora core 1,2 and Redhat 9.
    >> i try to use the ext2 but the same thing happen to me.
    >> So is the problem with the boot loader.
    >> dose this problem will damage my hard drive. or it's safe and a normal
    >> state.
    >You are probably fine.
    >There is no standard for hard drive partitioning (and some companies
    >wouldn't follow it if there were one), so there are variations.
    >In general, check partitions for a given OS with that OS's
    >tools. Check your Windows HD with Windows tools, and your Linux HD
    >with Linux tools. However, there are three different versions of fdisk
    >for Linux, and they may report different results on the same
    >Charles Curley /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
    >Looking for fine software \ / Respect for open standards
    >and/or writing? X No HTML/RTF in email
    > / \ No M$ Word docs in email
    >Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0 809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB
    >fedora-list mailing list
    >To unsubscribe:

    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

    But some time i mess with my installation.
    So, I use Partition magic browser to browse my damage installation, and get what i need (like downloaded files or emails).
    As i say before it was easy to do it with Redhat 9 and other fedora release.
    BTW, when i run windows XP, I can see the Fedora partition listed with my other windows partition. but i can not get access to ot (it's reported like an empty partition.
    Parition magic reported it as (Type 8E) partition. but the BOOT partiton is reported as (Linux ext3).

    fedora-list mailing list
    To unsubscribe:

    • Re: dual boot system returns grub rescue> prompt
      ... The win7 booting disk won't load beyond the windows start screen and fedora 17 installation reports several errors. ... I have run a distro where update-grub actually ...
    • Re: OE wont start after upgrading to WinXP from Win98 SE
      ... Do you have a Windows 98 or ME installation CD? ... Something about how they allegedly install their hard drives in ... That was until I tried to access my mail via Outlook ...
    • Re: new hardware, now windows wont boot
      ... quite a change to expect windows to adapt to. ... boot logging doesn't work. ... > installation is still using the wrong drivers. ... > installation with all my stuff on two hard drives in the same computer. ...
    • Re: Windows Upgrade problem
      ... request to put in a CD of a previous version of Windows. ... I clicked Upgrade, because I thought I was only adding some extra features my ... a small meter shows how much time remains in the installation. ... hard drives, the one I tried to do the upgrade on, it's "Documents ...
    • Re: Upgrading Windows on a Linux laptop
      ... So I try to recall what I did after an installation of Windows 7 to the place where XP had resided before. ... This installation resulted in a loss of the grub2 boot menue, because the windows installer had overritten the mbr. ... Booted from a Fedora Live medium ...