Re: newbie: 386/686pkgs. yum list pkg name. kde 3.3 on fc2? k3b.

From: Nat Gross (natgross.rentalsystems_at_verizon.net)
Date: 02/14/05

    Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:57:59 -0500
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    (This had been blocked by my email scanner.)
    Umm. So I thought. Now, it seems like because I was an a-hole and didn't
    realize that the txt file I attached was toooo long. This post is sans
    that txt file. Sorry.

    James Mckenzie wrote:

> [...]
    Correct. Thanks for pointing out the need to point out Intel or Athlon.

    >1. In general, do I need xxx386xxx.rpm's or xxx686xxx.rpm's?
    >
    >Pentium II, III, 4 and Pentium M use i686 rpms where available.

    hmmm. Just noticed, my /etc/yum.conf, which I copied off a forum, has
    many '386' strings in the urls.
    Might be the wrong thing for me. I am attaching it with this post.
    Please advise.

    >>2. The list provided by 'Yum list' does not provide the full pkg name.
    >>How do I derive it from the list?
    >>

    >Are you talking about the following:
    >
    >kernel vice kernel-2.6.10-1_760-FC3?

    Am also attaching a txt file with the output of 'yum list'. The middle
    column is only partial pkg name, I think.

    >>3. On kde.org, they say that [3.3] its for FC3 only, however I am almost
    >>certain that I had it before on FC2. I had K3b on it.
    >>

    >Hmmm. I remember KDE under FC2 being 3.2 and for FC3 being 3.3, but it is possible that you upgraded to KDE 3.3 through the Fedora upgrade process (or they upgraded 3.2 to be like 3.3.)

    You might be correct, but I have 3.2 now, and it does not have k3b, and
    I recall after a RH update, k3b magically appeared.

    >>4. How do I use yum to get the absolute latest kde and k3b for fc2?
    >>

    >yum upgrade kde k3b

    How about that? It's that simple? I *don't* have to specify the complete
    rpm name?

    >>5. Is there a gui front for yum, like k3b is to cdrecord?
    >>

    >Yes, gyum is a graphical interface for yum and includes an rhn-applet replacement that goes on the menu bar for GNOME. I don't know (since I don't use KDE) if this functionality exists for KDE.

    And I assume, that I can get gyum via yum?

    >>Thank you all.
    >>

    >You are welcome.

    Thanks again, hope my follow up here is not a burden.
    -nat

    >One additional comment: Nice post. It was very easy to understand and reply to.

    [main]
    cachedir=/var/cache/yum
    debuglevel=2
    logfile=/var/log/yum.log
    pkgpolicy=newest
    distroverpkg=redhat-release
    tolerant=1
    exactarch=1
    retries=20

    [livna-stable]
    name=Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
    baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/stable
    gpgcheck=1

    [FedoraUS]
    name=Fedora US $releasever - $basearch - Latest Packages
    baseurl=http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/i386/SRPMS.os/

    [newrpms.sunsite.dk]
    name=Fedora Core 2 NewRPMS.sunsite.dk
    baseurl=http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/apt/redhat/en/i386/fc2

    [dag]
    name=Dag RPM Repository for Fedora Core 2
    baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag

    [dries]
    name=Extra Fedora rpms dries - $releasever - $basearch
    baseurl=http://dries.studentenweb.org/yum/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/dries

    [base]
    name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
    baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/

    [updates-released]
    name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
    baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/

    #[updates-testing]
    #name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
    #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/$releasever/$basearch/

    #[development]
    #name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
    #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearch/

    [freshrpms]
    name=Fedora Linux $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
    baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms