Fedora diskless feature

From: NICOLAS GOBET (nicolas.gobet_at_epfl.ch)
Date: 03/11/05

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:47:01 +0100

    Hello,

    I have 8 Dell PowerEdge 1850 to install. It's a good occasion to try the
    diskless feature of redhat.
    I followed this documentation:
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-guide/ch-diskless.html
    But there is a problem:
    when the pxe client boots, it makes a kernel panic, because of no init
    found.
    The server is a Dell Poweredge with Red Hat ES 3 (192.168.0.20)(up to
    date) and the nodes will have a RedHat WS 3 distribution.

    The setup of the first node works great and I make an image using:
    rsync -v -a -e ssh 192.168.0.198:/ /diskless/RHEL3-WS/root/
    --exclude="/proc/*" --exclude="/sys/*"

    Then I have made the nfs exports:
    /diskless/RHEL3-WS/root/ *(ro,sync,no_root_squash)
    /diskless/RHEL3-WS/snapshot/ *(rw,sync,no_root_squash)

    I can acces these nfs shares with each computer on my lan.
    The the dhcpd sends what's needed, exactly as described in the doc.
    The PXE client boots, gets the pxelinux.0 (given by the setup of Red Hat)

    Then it looks in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg, trying to find a
    file with its MAC Address and finally loads the client file
    corresponding to it's ip:
    #beginning
    default rhel-3-ws

    label rhel-3-ws
        kernel rhel-3-ws/vmlinuz
        append initrd=rhel-3-ws/initrd.img root=/dev/ram0 init=disklessrc
    NFSROOT=192.168.0.20:/diskless/RHEL3-WS ramdisk_size=10000 ETHERNET=eth0
    SNAPSHOT=192.168.0.220 NFSROOT=192.168.0.20:/diskless/RHEL3-WS
    init=disklessrc root=/dev/ram0
    #end

    As written in this file, the client looks in ...../rhel-3-ws and it
    loads the vmlinuz and the initrd.img generated by the Red hat tool.

    This works correctly but right after the load of the nfs shares appears
    the kernel panic:
    here are the interesting lines:
    Freeing ununsed kernel memory: 224k freed
    Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

    It sounds like the nfs share is mounted, but the kernel doesn't see
    anything on the "partition".
    I was able to mount the nfs share with the cd installation.

    Has somebody an opinion about this? Where did I make mistakes?

    Thanks

    Nicolas

    • Re: Fedora diskless feature
      ... > when the pxe client boots, it makes a kernel panic, because of no init ... > date) and the nodes will have a RedHat WS 3 distribution. ... > I can acces these nfs shares with each computer on my lan. ... > loads the vmlinuz and the initrd.img generated by the Red hat tool. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: installation of RH9 thru NFS
      ... > Copying the cd's in the directory wouldn't work fine with NFS ... passing the wrong information to anaconda on boot - anaconda expects to ... see a 'RedHat' directory - it uses the RedHat/base and RedHat/RPMS ... directories to do the install. ...
      (RedHat)
    • FC2 NFS Kickstart
      ... Alt-F3 shows me that the NFS mount of the cdrom directory fails. ... The paradox is that I can do an NFS image install interatively through ... Here's the maria kickstart: ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Services for Unix installation.
      ... Victor ... I only want to install NFS ... > didn't capture the fact I don't want NFS Server nor NFS ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
    • Re: Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1
      ... >> If you have another Linux machine on the network you can speed ... >> up installs and avoid CD issues by doing an NFS install. ... hook it up to a local network. ...
      (Fedora)