Re: Questions concerning Security Log

From: Paul Howarth (paul_at_city-fan.org)
Date: 04/07/05

    Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:08:06 +0100
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Dotan Cohen wrote:
    > Thanks. I tryed to edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and found that it is
    > either empty or does not exist. In emacs i just get a blank screen. So
    > maybe I don't even have ssh on this computer? I did a FC3 desktop
    > installation.

    Do you have openssh-server installed?

    $ rpm -qa 'openssh*'

    It sounds a bit strange that you should have sshd alert messages in your
    logs if you're not running an ssh server.

    See also what's listening on your ssh port:
    # netstat -nalp | grep :22

    >>3. Consider turning off password authentication altogether and using
    >>certificates instead.
    >
    > I will look into this. As far as I can see, I would need to purchase a
    > certificate?

    No, you generate them yourself.

    There's an introduction at:
    http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=OpenSSH

    Paul.

    • Re: X.509 and ssh
      ... one of the issues from x.509 identity certificates from the early 90s ... appending certificates to retail payment transactions would bring the ... digital certificates to payment transaction was causing a two orders ... http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006b.html#37 X.509 and ssh ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: OpenVMS SSH to freeSSHd on Windows
      ... freeSSHd on Windows is the server, ... No problem generating certificates, testing SSH - JUST NOT ON THE SERVER WHERE I STATED THE CONVERSION MUST BE UNDERSTAKEN!!!! ... It appears that freeSSHd is based on/uses OpenSSH - VMS generated certificates are not compatible with it. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Authentication w/o user ids and passwords.
      ... Lyal Collins wrote: ... >> What about SSH and certificates? ... >> use ssh to make connections and open connections for the web so long as ... are more secure than passwords alone or certificates. ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Why is bind important?
      ... >>>like SSL and SSH do use certificates. ... Of course nobody checks them. ... HTTP, not SSL. ...
      (comp.security.unix)
    • Re: Why is bind important?
      ... >>>like SSL and SSH do use certificates. ... Of course nobody checks them. ... HTTP, not SSL. ...
      (comp.security.misc)