Re: Questions concerning Security Log

From: Paul Howarth (paul_at_city-fan.org)
Date: 04/07/05

    Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:08:06 +0100
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Dotan Cohen wrote:
    > Thanks. I tryed to edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and found that it is
    > either empty or does not exist. In emacs i just get a blank screen. So
    > maybe I don't even have ssh on this computer? I did a FC3 desktop
    > installation.

    Do you have openssh-server installed?

    $ rpm -qa 'openssh*'

    It sounds a bit strange that you should have sshd alert messages in your
    logs if you're not running an ssh server.

    See also what's listening on your ssh port:
    # netstat -nalp | grep :22

    >>3. Consider turning off password authentication altogether and using
    >>certificates instead.
    >
    > I will look into this. As far as I can see, I would need to purchase a
    > certificate?

    No, you generate them yourself.

    There's an introduction at:
    http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=OpenSSH