OT: cloning (copying) a HD over a network...

From: Kim Lux (lux_at_diesel-research.com)
Date: 04/09/05

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:20:58 -0600

    The hard drive is full on our server. I can ssh into it from my
    workstation. I've got a formatted drive mounted on my workstation ready
    to receive the server files.

    How do I easily copy the server files to the workstation drive over our
    network ? Keep in mind that I need to preserve the file ownership,
    permissions and dates.

    If I had the new hard drive mounted on the server, I would use:

    cp -aR /olddrive /newdrive >> logfile

    I've tried using scp, but I cannot force it to preserve the file
    attributes.

    I've tried using sftp, but I don't think it is recursive and I can't
    force it to preserve attributes.

    I'm trying to use tar, but I can't figure out how to make it work across
    a network. FWIW, I have sshd enabled on the server, but not on the
    workstation. I don't have nfs enabled on the server. Can I do this
    without enabling it ?

    Any hints would be appreciated.

    --
    Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.