OT: cloning (copying) a HD over a network...

From: Kim Lux (lux_at_diesel-research.com)
Date: 04/09/05

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:20:58 -0600

    The hard drive is full on our server. I can ssh into it from my
    workstation. I've got a formatted drive mounted on my workstation ready
    to receive the server files.

    How do I easily copy the server files to the workstation drive over our
    network ? Keep in mind that I need to preserve the file ownership,
    permissions and dates.

    If I had the new hard drive mounted on the server, I would use:

    cp -aR /olddrive /newdrive >> logfile

    I've tried using scp, but I cannot force it to preserve the file
    attributes.

    I've tried using sftp, but I don't think it is recursive and I can't
    force it to preserve attributes.

    I'm trying to use tar, but I can't figure out how to make it work across
    a network. FWIW, I have sshd enabled on the server, but not on the
    workstation. I don't have nfs enabled on the server. Can I do this
    without enabling it ?

    Any hints would be appreciated.

    --
    Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.

    • Re: Daily Server Report (Critical Errors, Event ID: 537)
      ... Does this issue happen on client workstation or server? ... Does your server and all clients' workstation work well now? ... issue in your Network? ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Daily Server Report (Critical Errors, Event ID: 537)
      ... Also, Logon type of 3 is a network logon, this is considered a ... Does this issue happen on client workstation or server? ... Does your server and all clients' workstation work well now? ... issue in your Network? ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Daily Server Report (Critical Errors, Event ID: 537)
      ... Also, Logon type of 3 is a network logon, this is considered a ... Does this issue happen on client workstation or server? ... Does your server and all clients' workstation work well now? ... issue in your Network? ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Strange Connection Issues with Win2003 Server & XP Client
      ... System Error 53 Has Occured - The network path was not found - this was ... I can ping the server, I can "net view" & "net view server" the server ... shares, but not the actual shares, I get the same messages as above. ... workstation on the same network, ...
    • Re: Logon Failures from unknown workstation
      ... possibility is that someone had an unauthorized computer on the network such ... server's properties in the rras console. ... was recorded in the "system" log of the VPN server. ... > There is no workstation in our forest named AFREEMAN; ...
      (microsoft.public.security)