I moved /var and now syslog won't start

From: Tim Largy (tim.largy_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/09/05

    Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:51:00 -0400
    To: fedora-list@redhat.com

    Hi,

    After moving /var to a new location I can't get the syslog to start.
    Here's what I did (more or less):

    1) Dropped into single user mode
    2) cp -pr /var /yomama
    3) umount /var
    4) rmdir /var
    5) mv /yomama /var
    6) Edited /etc/fstab and commented-out the line stating that /var was
    on /dev/hda3 because now /var is part of the / partition
    7) Rebooted. Syslog hangs but the system eventually starts (i.e.
    without syslog running)
    8) service syslog start (and it fails to start)

    Any ideas? How should I debug this without the benefit of syslog?

    Tim

    • Re: I moved /var and now syslog wont start
      ... Tim Largy wrote: ... >After moving /var to a new location I can't get the syslog to start. ... Syslog hangs but the system eventually starts (i.e. ... Check the selinux context of the new /var .. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: logger function
      ... Moving it appears to ... fix the issue: ... syslog 1 "Test from $USER" ...
      (comp.unix.shell)
    • [fw-wiz] PIX monitoring and fine tunning question
      ... Actually, Michael, syslog is more "on-topic" than you ... Recall that with many debug commands, ... The timestamps applied by the router are ... Inasmuch as all the routers in a routing domain work ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: logging by kernel extensions
      ... your kernel module in debug mode and it gives out thousands of debug ... kernel messages and logs can be archived in messages.X files. ... Sure, AIX has syslog. ... 'Trace Facility'. ...
      (comp.unix.aix)
    • Re: joydev.c and saitek cyborg evo force
      ... device (i.e. move the joystick, press the buttons, etc)? ... I've changed USB DEBUG in menuconfig, ... $ rmmod usbhid hid; modprobe usbhid hid ... syslog, although syslog had other messages from the network card ...
      (Linux-Kernel)