I moved /var and now syslog won't start

From: Tim Largy (tim.largy_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/09/05

    Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:51:00 -0400
    To: fedora-list@redhat.com

    Hi,

    After moving /var to a new location I can't get the syslog to start.
    Here's what I did (more or less):

    1) Dropped into single user mode
    2) cp -pr /var /yomama
    3) umount /var
    4) rmdir /var
    5) mv /yomama /var
    6) Edited /etc/fstab and commented-out the line stating that /var was
    on /dev/hda3 because now /var is part of the / partition
    7) Rebooted. Syslog hangs but the system eventually starts (i.e.
    without syslog running)
    8) service syslog start (and it fails to start)

    Any ideas? How should I debug this without the benefit of syslog?

    Tim