Re: dhcp evils

From: Michael Hennebry (hennebry_at_web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu)
Date: 04/17/05

    Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:44:24 -0500 (CDT)
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Craig White wrote:

    > On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 12:08 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
    > > /etc/hosts contains only
    > > # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
    > > # that require network functionality will fail.
    > > 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    > >
    > > I that infer my machine has not been getting its hostname through DNS.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to ask the system where it did get the hostname?
    > ----
    > cat /etc/sysconfig/network

    That gives me
    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
    which to me is not informative.

    > you can edit there if you wish - probably have to '/sbin/service network
    > restart' to get it to take though.
    >
    > My guess is that you named this machine when you did the original
    > install.

    Assuming I did so (it was orange and it tasted like orange juice),
    where would that information be stored?

    --
    Mike   hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
    "I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES.  *I* ONLY TURN UP ONCE."  --  Death

    • Re: Security flaw in ALCATEL/THOMSON Speed Touch Pro ADSL modems
      ... | because it's a way DHCP and DNS are supposed to work and it's ... firmware simply doesn't validate any further Hostname given to it, ... this flaw allows to corrupt the local zone file ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • Re: adding a second nic
      ... > internal Active Directory domain zone. ... with a gateway of 192.168.1.1 and assign it in DNS as a domain name ... and use that as my internet connection ... on 192.168.1.200 called outside, with hostname ohostname. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
    • Re: Bug in Graphical Network Configuration???
      ... I have assigned the static address for my FC5 box because I am serving ... FC5 box has something to do with the Samba since windows machines uses ... addresses - it might add them (machine hostname and FQDN) to the ... The ISP's DNS server numerical IP addresses. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: IP ADDRESS
      ... to me with the least amount of client machine configuration or programming. ... machines in DNS or RDNS, or that you have them all in DNS & RDNS. ... GET THE HOSTNAME FOR THE DEVICE ... FOR PTR = 1 TO LNS ...
      (comp.databases.pick)
    • Re: On what basis does host canonicalization happen?
      ... attempting a DNS lookup and using the fully-qualified domain name ... or by using the "hostname" as provided if the DNS ... The canonicalization operation also maps the host's name ...
      (comp.protocols.kerberos)