Configuring Multiple Ethernet Interfaces

From: Michael McQuain (inrouted_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 04/19/05

    Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:26:40 -0700 (PDT)
    To: fedora-list@redhat.com

    I had seen this thread from a previous archive, and
    had a follow on question..

    I am running a HPdl380 with 2 onboard nics, and a quad
    ethernet card which according to kudzu is an intel
    chipset (using e100 driver 3.3). Boot seems to get
    the card fine, but when you try to assign an address
    to it and bring the interface up, you get a
    SIOCCFFLAGS: Connection timed out.

    Anyone seen this error? googling didnt turn up much
    except orinoco config details, and nothing relating to
    config of card. Bad driver? bad card?

    Aloha
    Kal

    Greetings,

    I can't recreate the configuration of network
    interfaces after a FC1
    install. eth0 (built-in) has been identified and
    configured correctly.
    However, eth1 (built-in) and eth2-5 (a 4-port card)
    are a mess. Kudzu
    doesn't detect everything properly at boot time.
    Furthermore, despite
    deleting all devices (via the GUI config tool),
    /etc/sysconfig/hwconf still
    lists eth4 and eth5. Yet,
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts lists only eth0
    and lo (good), and /etc/modules.conf lists only eth0
    (good). What gives?

    What I want to be able to do is to keep the config for
    eth0 and start fresh
    with eth1-5. For example, first I'd configure eth1
    and test. Then, I'd try
    to configure the 4-port card (eth2-5). Still very new
    to linux
    administration, I've been struggling to find a good
    resource on how to
    accomplish my goal. I would greatly appreciate any
    pointers on the proper
    way to tell FC1 exactly what I want the details (card,
    driver, assigned to
    ethX, etc.) of the remaining interfaces to be.

    Many thanks,
    Craig

    Craig Demyanovich
    Software Developer