USB Errors Mounting External HDD

From: Simon Andrews (simon.andrews_at_bbsrc.ac.uk)
Date: 04/20/05

    Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:42:42 +0100
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    I've got a LaCie 200Gb external USB HDD which I'm trying to use on one
    of our servers. Unfortunately when I try to connect it I get a load of
    errors and can't access it. The relevant portions of /var/log/messsages
    are:

    kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
    kernel: usb 1-2: device not accepting address 2, error -110
    kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
    kernel: usb 1-2: device not accepting address 4, error -110
    kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 5
    kernel: usb 1-2: device not accepting address 5, error -110
    kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
    kernel: usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
    kernel: usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
    kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 7
    kernel: usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
    kernel: usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110

    This is all running a fully up to date FC3.

    The strange thing is if I boot a machine of a Knoppix CD (2.4 kernel) it
    all works fine and I can mount the disk OK.

    Does anyone have any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this?

    Cheers

    Simon