Samba Printing Woes

From: Richard Crawford (rscrawford_at_mossroot.com)
Date: 04/24/05

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 07:43:00 -0700

    I've just rebuilt my old RH8 file/print server up to FC3 (completely fresh
    install, new hard drive and everything). Mostly everything seems to be
    working well so far. It's sending out mail, Samba shares are seen properly
    for file sharing, music files are serving up properly.

    Unfortunately, I can't get the printer -- my sturdy, reliable HP 712C -- to be
    seen in Samba. When I st up the printer locally on the server, it works just
    fine, and prints test pages beautifully. However, I'm having no luck at all
    sharing out the printer via Samba.

    Here is the Samba information from the printer, generated by SWAT:

    [Fluffy]
            path = /var/spool/samba
            guest ok = Yes
            printable = Yes
            browseable = Yes

    This configuration worked perfectly under RH8, which was running Samba 2. The
    new server runs Samba 3, but I can't find anything on Google which would
    indicate that anything needs to be changed.

    I'm at my wit's end, and I need to print up some documents. What am I doing
    wrong?

    --
    Richard S. Crawford
    http://www.mossroot.com

    • Re: Does samba 3.0.14Aa on OS 5.0.6 work with ldapsam backend on another LDAP server?
      ... used 3.0.9 on SCO 5.0.6 for quite some time after suffering problems I ... a RedHat4 box running samba 3.0.10 and OpenLDAP 2.2.13. ... and no LDAP server (although there were the ... share on the SCO server without any smbpasswd on that server! ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)
    • [HPADM] RE: Mapping Samba Share to XP
      ... "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error occurred: The remote computer is not available." ... Is there anything I need to change in the configuration on the CIFS server? ... I am unable to map to the Windows XP clients on the 158 subnet still, but this is due to the firewall, so if someone knows how I can make that happen, please let me know? ... Mapping Samba Share to XP ...
      (HP-UX-Admin)
    • Re: login fails from from Solaris to windows7
      ... I can see all three Windows boxes from Solaris, but I can not login to ... Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too ... server string = Samba Server ... # per user logon script ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Samba frustrations
      ... As a matter of fact, when I attach another kubuntu machine to the network, smbclient doesn't see the server either. ... # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS Server ... # Another common choice is storing the profile in the user's home directory ... # It specifies the script to run during logon. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • samba 3.0 does not list servers when "map to guest = bad user" ?
      ... I've been trying to configure a samba 3.0 server to play nicely both ... with smbclient and with MS windows. ... At present, if I try to view the list of shares from within windows, I ...
      (Debian-User)