Samba Printing Woes

From: Richard Crawford (rscrawford_at_mossroot.com)
Date: 04/24/05

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 07:43:00 -0700

    I've just rebuilt my old RH8 file/print server up to FC3 (completely fresh
    install, new hard drive and everything). Mostly everything seems to be
    working well so far. It's sending out mail, Samba shares are seen properly
    for file sharing, music files are serving up properly.

    Unfortunately, I can't get the printer -- my sturdy, reliable HP 712C -- to be
    seen in Samba. When I st up the printer locally on the server, it works just
    fine, and prints test pages beautifully. However, I'm having no luck at all
    sharing out the printer via Samba.

    Here is the Samba information from the printer, generated by SWAT:

    [Fluffy]
            path = /var/spool/samba
            guest ok = Yes
            printable = Yes
            browseable = Yes

    This configuration worked perfectly under RH8, which was running Samba 2. The
    new server runs Samba 3, but I can't find anything on Google which would
    indicate that anything needs to be changed.

    I'm at my wit's end, and I need to print up some documents. What am I doing
    wrong?

    --
    Richard S. Crawford
    http://www.mossroot.com