Re: Apt-get equivalent in fedora

From: Temlakos (temlakos_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/28/05

    Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:43:03 -0400
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Chris Jones wrote:

    >> Strange. up2date isn't able to connect to the rhn website, and when I
    >> go the the website myself, I see there a login page but anyway I'll
    >> try yum or would install apt-get
    >

    > I recommend you ditch up2date and switch to another tool such as yum or
    > apt-get (if you want guis, these are also available such as kyum for yum
    > and synaptic for apt-get.). Up2date has always proved rather unreliable
    > for me.

    The only reason why I would want a GUI is to aid in browsing available
    packages. For simple updates to existing packages, I don't need a GUI. I
    just type "yum -y update" (as a SUperuser, of course) and if it can find
    packages to update, it does its job, and a lot more smoothly than
    up2date ever did. (It also shows me what it's doing while it does it.)

    But when I want to know what packages are available, I have a problem.
    If I list them in a terminal window, the list will shoot off the
    scale--and backward scrolling of a terminal window sometimes doesn't
    work right. (Is that an X issue, or something else I can fix?) The GUI
    would at least let me browse a list, look at its description, and decide
    whether to take it or not. That's why I liked synaptic so much--before
    the new apt package on at-stable broke it. (Axel has a fix, I
    understand, but at last report it's in "bleeding.")

    Is kyum the GUI for KDE? What GUI's are available for yum in Gnome?

    Temlakos

    • Re: pretty up2date vs reliable yum?
      ... >>I try to stick with up2date because I want the nice GUI tools, ... Why isn't yum given the nice icon on the ... so a GUI shouldn't be necessary. ... > it for special installs, but for literal updates, why be bothered at ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Build a cheap server?
      ... I'm worrying to much about up2date. ... I found YUM easy to use & better to ... update/upgrade my installed packages with. ... >>>> And what is wrong with using Fedora as a server? ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: pretty up2date vs reliable yum?
      ... > I try to stick with up2date because I want the nice GUI tools, ... Why isn't yum given the nice icon on the ... so a GUI shouldn't be necessary. ... On my desktop at work all I did for automatic yum updates, ...
      (Fedora)
    • RE: Thoughts and Questions On Yum, Up2Date. Etc.
      ... Thoughts and Questions On Yum, Up2Date. ... Five packages were installed. ... I attempted to install a single package using ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Removing GUI packages from Fedora
      ... >>looking for an easier method then a fresh install or is a fresh install ... > Well, while you have the GUI installed, you could use the GUI ... I used yum like this: ... remaining packages and removed one or two that had GUI in the description. ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)