Gnome Pilot: Initalize palmOne Treo under FC3

From: Charles E. White (chuck_at_chuckandmaggi.com)
Date: 05/01/05

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 14:12:47 -0400

    I'm a newbie to Linux using Fedora Core 3 and a palmOne Treo (Palm OS
    5.2.1). I've Googled, searched the fedora-list archive, and executed
    instruction found at http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gnome-pilot/. Two
    error messages follow:

    Error Message 1:
    [root@localhost chuck]# pilot-xfer -l
       No $PILOTPORT specified and no -p <port> given.
       Defaulting to '/dev/pilot'
       ERROR: No such file or directory (2)

       Error accessing: '/dev/pilot'. Does '/dev/pilot' exist?
       Please use --help for more information

    Error Message 2 (obtained from '/dev/pilot'):
    This link can't be used, because its target "/dev/ttyUSB1" doesn't
    exist.

    Additional Background:
    FC3 Machine: Sony Vaio PCG-GRX520 (Laptop with no old style serial
    ports)
    FC3 Updates: All installed using up2date
    Random Observation on '/dev/': Browsing the directory, I don't see any
    ttyUSBx.

    If you've read this far, you're a real trooper! Thanks for your time and
    I hope you can help.

    Chuck