Re: Dual Boot for the same OS - with different functions

From: Paul Howarth (paul_at_city-fan.org)
Date: 05/13/05

    Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 14:14:42 +0100
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Rajiv wrote:
    > Dear All,
    > I have fedora core 3 installed in my machine. I would like to
    > have two boot options in GRUB- for the same linux - fedora core 3. Both
    > the options accesses exactly the same partitions. The difference
    > between the two boot options is
    >
    > 1. services each boot option starts up
    > 2. Environment variable exported in /etc/profile. For one boot option
    > the environment variable exported should be different and for other
    > the environment varible is default linux.
    > 3. Also there are two commands which I have added to /usr/sbin
    > in one options which does different option in one boot option while
    > for the other it is default linux.
    > 4. For one boot option default boot level - /etc/inittab is GRAPHICAL
    > while for the other it is TEXT.
    >
    > Is this possible in Linux. This may not be the right list to ask
    > this question. I don't want to install the same OS twice with seperate /
    > partions
    > for this. Pls give some initial guidance on this.

    You could do this by adding extra parameters on the grub command line,
    which you could then check in your initscripts by looking at
    /proc/cmdline and having those scripts behave differently based on the
    contents of that file. Your changes to the initscripts will probably get
    overwritten next time there's an update to the initscripts package though.

    Paul.

    • Install Fedora Core 2
      ... my name is Ron and I am pretty new to the LINUX world. ... UNIX but have never done any administration work and over the past year have ... have downloaded Fedora Core 2 to install however I am unable to get the ... install disks to work and would love to have some insight on how to get this ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Purchasing new PC to run Fedora Core. Any known compatibility issues?
      ... > great) & plan to install some version of Fedora Core on this new system. ... Linux seems to be way ahead here ... Not a problem in your case as you are using standard ATA. ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: Install Fedora Core 2
      ... > my name is Ron and I am pretty new to the LINUX world. ... I have downloaded Fedora Core 2 to install however I am ... > created the restore and boot cd's to boot up RecHat. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Before I install Fedora Core 3...
      ... > Fedora Core is one of the better distros you can use. ... The toughest OS'es to install are FreeBSD or OpenBSD. ... > of your experience with Linux. ... Not to mention it's the only distro I know of right now ...
      (Fedora)
    • >>>> INSTALL LINUX <<<<
      ... Linux Http Install Syntax ... Install Linux On Usb In Windows ...
      (comp.mail.sendmail)