Sound: FC2

From: Daniel B. Thurman (dant_at_cdkkt.com)
Date: 05/14/05

    Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 18:26:01 -0700
    To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Folks,

    I have asked several times and seems that sound cards are one of
    those questions no one wants to touch or solve... Had this sound
    problem since I installed FC2 on this machine. Gave up many
    times to tackle it later and come back to try and solve it.
    Seems like I am in a casual loop :-)

    My card is a YMF-724F - Yamaha DS-XG

    I am guessing that all along -- that FC2 had
    the old sound system installed and it was not
    until later that ALSA was added in -- so I think
    it is quite possible that I have two sound systems
    installed in my FC2 -- SO --

    If this is true -- what was the original sound-system
    used and since I KNOW that I am using ALSA -- how can
    I get rid of it (the old sound system)?

    The current system cannot play MIDI, the KDE cannot play
    the two default sounds in the KDE Control Center (One is
    probably a wave file and the other IS MIDI) KDE cannot
    play system sounds -- it does NOT WORK

    When I brought up the Audicity Sound Editor -- I brought
    in the Classic Bell wave file and I notice that the bell
    plays well but just at the point where it should have stopped,
    there is a wobbling feedback sound that continues on for at least
    11 seconds past the stop point -- this happens no matter WHAT wave
    file is played and I notice that the sound-levels for both channels
    are solid full (green) as if in a feedback loop.

    Also -- note that CD's played through GRIP works well -- no problems
    what-so-ever.

    The following is my /etc/modprobe.conf file (note: why is there a
    /etc/modules.conf file as well??? DO I need this?)

    # Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to modules.conf!
    alias eth0 e100
    alias scsi_hostadapter sym53c8xx
    alias usb-controller uhci-hcd

    # ALSA portion
    alias char-major-116 snd
    alias snd-card-0 snd-ymfpci

    # module options should go here
    # 330(D), 300, 332, 334
    options snd-ymfpci index=0 mpu_port=0x330
    # 388(D), 398, 3A0, 3A8
    options snd-ymfpci index=0 fm_port=0x388

    # OSS/Free portion
    alias char-major-14 soundcore
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

    # card #1
    alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

    install snd-ymfpci /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ymfpci && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
    remove snd-ymfpci { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ymfpci

    Any help is apprechiated!
    Dan