remote syslog

From: Tim Holmes (tholmes_at_mcaschool.net)
Date: 05/25/05

    Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 15:45:21 -0400
    To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Hello All:

    I am trying to use one of my linux boxes to get information from my
    foundry switches (and eventually a lot of other gear) using the syslog
    facility. This will be in addition to SNMP which I am already using via
    CACTI

    I have managed to configure things so that the messages are heading to
    /var/logs/messages, but I cannot seem to get them to go to the device
    specific files that I have designated.

    Here is a copy of my /etc/syslog.conf file

    # Log all kernel messages to the console.
    # Logging much else clutters up the screen.
    #kern.* /dev/console

    # Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
    # Don't log private authentication messages!
    *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none
    /var/log/messages

    # The authpriv file has restricted access.
    authpriv.* /var/log/secure

    # Log all the mail messages in one place.
    mail.* /var/log/maillog

    # Log cron stuff
    cron.* /var/log/cron

    # Everybody gets emergency messages
    *.emerg *

    # Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
    uucp,news.crit /var/log/spooler

    # Save boot messages also to boot.log
    local7.*
    /var/log/boot.log

    #send messages from Lancelot to Lancelot.log
    192.168.0.225.*
    /var/log/lancelot.log

    #send messages from tristan. tristan.log
    192.168.0.231.*
    /var/log/tristan.log
    tristan.*
    /var/log/tristan.log

    If anyone can help me out, what I would like is for each device to have
    its own separate log file, and then I need suggestions on how to
    properly view them etc

    TIM

    Tim Holmes

    IT Manager / Webmaster
    Medina Christian Academy
    A Higher Standard...

    Jeremiah 33:3
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Esther 4:14

    • Remote Syslog
      ... # Log anything of level info or higher. ... #send messages from tristan. ... Tim Holmes ... Jeremiah 33:3 ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Bittorrent instructions / procedures etc.
      ... > I downloaded the RPM of the client, and then executed the RPM -Uvh ... > BitTorrent.blah.blah.blah.rpm to install it, ... > Tim Holmes ... > Jeremiah 33:3 ...
      (Fedora)
    • Looking for a software recomendation for FC3
      ... will download digital pictures from my Flashcard, ... I have installed wine, and gotten it running, but the ... Tim Holmes ... Jeremiah 33:3 ...
      (Fedora)
    • Postfix Mail Server / Mailman
      ... project is to get my listserver up and running. ... Postfix and Mailman. ... Tim Holmes ... Jeremiah 33:3 ...
      (Fedora)