Re: NTFS issue

From: Igor Guarisma (iguarism_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 06/30/05

    Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:05:08 -0500 (CDT)
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Lot of people had already answer this... but what
    intrigs me is that you reboot and reboot....

    You don't need to reboot, just "su -" to be root and
    "exit" to be "yourself" again, or use sudo (man sudo)
    (/etc/sudoers.conf)

    To test your /etc/inittab you can use "mount -a" (man
    mount)

    Keep it going.. maybe someday you could make those
    NTFS into ReiserFS or ext3... I still have FAT32 on
    my system, I need to do a backup first before I
    format.

     --- Yogen Mankikar <yogenmankikar@hotmail.com>
    escribió:

    > I have successfully mounted ntfs drive, but it is
    > accessible only to the
    > root user.
    > As a regular user I get 'permission denied' error.
    > What am I missing?
    > Here's what I did as root.
    >
    > mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/C
    > mount -t ntfs /dev/hda5 /mnt/D
    >
    > After making sure I was able to access both ntfs
    > drives, I added the
    > following to /etc/fstab
    >
    > /dev/hda1 /mnt/C ntfs defaults 0 0
    > /dev/hda5 /mnt/D ntfs defaults 0 0
    >
    > Then I rebooted and logged on as a regular user.
    > Now ls /mnt/C gives 'permission denied'.
    > But if I log on as root I am able to access both
    > ntfs drives just fine.
    > I'm a Linux newbie, any help is appreciated.
    >
    > -Yogen
    > Fedora 4

    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Vulnerability in Terminal.app
      ... If you do something as a regular user that requires root permissions, ... time period. ... The problem occurred when you reboot. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: how do you log out using command line
      ... >> Forgot to mention that you will need to be root to run the above commands. ... If you run poweroff or reboot as a regular user it should prompt you for roots password. ... >Set text line length to 75 characters or ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: permissions
      ... #UUID=12C6159F5B4BE271 /media/sda5 ntfs ... What I need to change that I can rw use that partition without root ... Do I have to reboot or is there any other way to apply the changes? ...
      (comp.os.linux)
    • Re: [opensuse] BIOS/GRUB Problem
      ... Crtl-Alt-F2) 2-login as root ... You'll have to force a reboot, power switch if you have no reset ... accomplished using the reboot command, or the shutdown command, ... and bring up the GDM/KDM/XDM login screen. ...
      (SuSE)
    • How to have a late night heart attack...
      ... moving my "send an email" shell script over to ... Tried to control the machine via ARD. ... The only damn way onto this machine is SSH as root. ... Reboot again, finally everything behaving. ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)