Re: another Yum problem

From: Paul Howarth (paul_at_city-fan.org)
Date: 07/13/05

    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:32:21 +0100

    On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 21:44 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
    > On Tue July 12 2005 4:53 am, Michael Schwendt wrote:
    > >
    > > The following information is missing: What distribution version do you
    > > use? What distribution version do you want? Judging from your brief
    > > list of repositories, it seems you call something "standard", which is
    > > not standard. For Fedora Core Development there is no "Livna"
    > > repository. "extras" should be "extras-development". And how well kde-
    > > redhat plays with Fedora Core Development is unclear, too. You probably
    > > want "updates-testing" instead of "development".
    > >
    > As you and Paul noted, I did indeed have development turned on ( I use KYum
    > which has a GUI which makes it very easy to select/deselect repos). I turned
    > off development and extras-development, and now I'm down to a list of 55
    > updates, but of those, 50 are from updates-testing. I have no more reason to
    > have that repo turned on than I had for the other two previously mentioned.
    >
    > If one of you guys would like to, I'd be interested in hearing your views on
    > when it 'is' appropriate to turn on those repositories.

    If there's a particularly good reason that you want to test out the
    current development branch of Fedora (i.e. probably you are a developer
    wanting to keep up to date) and can afford to have a machine not work
    for days at a time and have to reinstall it from time to time, you would
    enable the development repo permanently in the .repo file.

    If there was a particular package you were having issues with and
    feedback from this list/forums/bugzilla suggested that your issue was
    fixed in rawhide, you might want to enable the development repo just to
    update that package:

    # yum --enablerepo=development update packagename

    However, you might find that this wants to pull in a large number of
    libraries that your updated package depends on, and I'd be very wary of
    doing that. A better solution might be to download the SRPM for that
    package and try rebuilding it in your FC4 system.

    Similar reasoning would apply to the updates-testing repo, though there
    are far fewer packages there and they're safer to install because they
    won't depend on large numbers of new libraries. Kernel updates often
    appear in this repo before being released as official updates.

    Paul.

    --
    Paul Howarth <paul@city-fan.org>

    • Re: Qbittorrent depsolving problem
      ... So it looks like there's a package missing in the repos. ... Is there no automated check that any package in the standard repo has ... repoclosure for F-11 and F-10 everytime new updates are published. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: update flash
      ... I am using the flashplugin from Debian's nonfree repo. ... any security updates for it from Adobe shouldn't those updates ... would the security updates end up in some backport repo, ... You are missing the fact that the flashplugin-nonfree package doesn't ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Unable to configure wireless with FC4
      ... > these from Dag's package: ... > Is there any Apt repo with official FC4 updates? ... > Extras repositories with Yum, ...
      (linux.redhat)
    • Re: [opensuse] 10.2 is turning into a nightmare
      ... I have only one reason: the excruciatingly slow package management ... updates were available. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [opensuse] Zypper vs. Gnome Online Update applet
      ... all package updates. ... ...and that approach is the best at the moment since Zypper currently ... doesn't have a feature which will do repo prioritization. ... Packman's package, I do the check for all the updates avaliable, then I ...
      (SuSE)