Re: Does Eclipse 3.1 on FC4 include WTP and/or WST?

From: Klaasjan Brand (klaasjan_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/23/05

    Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:58:46 +0200
    To: Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com>

    On 7/22/05, Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> wrote:
    > those. A few people have talked about submitting the WTP to Fedora Extras
    > and I can see that happening sometime soon. If anyone's interested in
    > helping with this, contact me or check out fedora-devel-java-list or
    > #fedora-java on Freenode.

    I'll have a look when WTP 0.7 (the official 3.1 supporting version) is
    release next week.
    How's the FC4 update to Eclipse 3.1 coming along?

    > switch). Another way of doing things is to just download, say, Sun's stuff
    > as a .tar.gz (or zip? I can't remember how they distribute it), expand it
    > somewhere, and run eclipse (from our packages) with the -vm option (ie.
    > eclipse -vm /home/me/sun/j2blah/bin/java).

    That's great. I had no idea you packaged it up so flexible ;)
    Does that mean there are no "hacks" in the Eclipse packages to make it
    run on gcj? (there are a lot of patches in de Eclipse SRPM)

    > > If you just want to use Eclipse it's the recommended way since it runs
    > > a lot faster with Sun Java than on gcj. But it would be great if you'd
    > > like to test Eclipse/gcj.
    > I appreciate the shout-outs for testing however, I don't really know if
    > I would say using Sun's stuff is the "recommended" way :) . Well there are

    Well, the Eclipse guys say so:
    http://eclipse.org/eclipse/faq/eclipse-faq.html#users_3
    Maybe you could try to get them to mention gcj as a runtime alternative?

    > some bugs in libgcj for sure, it's come a long way and the speed is not
    > that much worse. Plus, this is gcc 4.0.x which contains the first release
    > of gcj's new Binary Compatible ABI. This release was more concerned with
    > correctness than speed optimizations. I assure you that things will only
    > get better from here :)

    I understand it's slower and it will get better, but for users not
    interested in testing the gcj based version it's hard to justify not
    running it on a JVM that runs about twice as fast.
    (based on my totally unscientific measurements of clocking startup time)
    But thanks for the assurance ;) - I'm really impressed with the FC4
    Java stack and hoping to see gcj becoming a good alternative to the
    Sun JDK.

    Klaasjan

    • Re: Eclipse on Unix
      ... Has anybody worked on Eclipse from a Unix box. ... - don't use Java and Eclipse that come with Fedora distribution - they use GCJ Java and their Eclipse didn't work in my experience. ... Fedora documentation advices against using SUN Java RPM, but I did just that and it apparently passed OK. ... - download Eclipse, put it in folder you like, and start it. ...
      (comp.lang.java.softwaretools)
    • Re: How to set Sun-JVM as the default compatible JVM for eclipse?
      ... and I have set the sun java as my default jvm. ... But when launching my eclipse, it always uses the gcj java as its ...
      (Debian-User)
    • RE: FC4 - Eclipse problem
      ... Looks like J2EE was deliberately ... >> Eclipse IDE does come ... It appears the fedora-port somehow prevents these new 'features' ... Seems that Eclipse under Fedora is now controlled ...
      (Fedora)
    • RE: FC4 Users? [added Eclipse and Tomcat comments]
      ... >Subject: RE: FC4 Users? ... gotten Eclipse / Tomcat to "work" but it is MANUAL at this ... (and not necessarily by Fedora port because I tried the ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: F11: Fedora Eclipse: SVN fails to connect to any svn repository: Hangs.
      ... version of Eclipse w/o trashing Fedora's Eclipse ... I assume you're using Subclipse from Fedora? ... Ganymede SR-2, and Galileo. ...
      (Fedora)