Re: Problem with X11 gdm and login

akonstam_at_trinity.edu
Date: 08/19/05

    Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:26:50 -0500
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 08:06:19AM -0700, Ali Ghodsian wrote:
    > Hi there!
    >
    > I have installed fedora core 4 via internet.
    > Everything worked just fine. After initiating the
    > system I tried to login but it says
    >
    > can not start the session because of an internal
    > problem.
    >
    > When I check the details it says that either I have
    > problem with installation (which was successfull) or
    > the harddrive is full. I can not login to do anything
    > not even with fail safe session over Xterm.
    >
    > Do I need to reinstall the whole system or .....?
    >
    > Linux Lover
    >
    > /Ali
    I would boot into init level 3. When you see the initial fedora count
    down line hit return. Then when you are on the line with the kernel
    you want to boot hit an a. This will allow you to add a 3 at the end of
    the line. He hit return. When things boot to level 3 try to logon.
    If you can't you will get more useful error messages. Can you
    login to root or only a non root user is giving you trouble?

    Alternates are to boot to init level 1 and check things out since you
    will be root without logging in. Also booting with a rescue disk may be
    helpful.

    If this is not clear ask further questions.

    God runs electromagnetics by wave theory on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday,
    and the Devil runs them by quantum theory on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
    		-- William Bragg

    • Re: Problem with X11 gdm and login
      ... I com to fedora core ... login dialog where I try to login as root but still ... > I would boot into init level 3. ... > login to root or only a non root user is giving you ...
      (Fedora)
    • from 13 to 14
      ... I just choose 13 upgrade to 14 when i use the dvd ... when i login I can't connect to the Internet ... Does fedora 14 can't know my decives of NIC? ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: newbie with installation troubles
      ... > the new hard drive and installing fedora on it. ... Then when I boot into windows it tries to ... when at the login login as root ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: CentOS hangs on boot
      ... Regarding the Centos Boot issue. ... Knoppix is a very powerfull live boot cd. ... Will it support Fedora on the clients, ...
      (RedHat)
    • RE: fedora-list Digest, Vol 70, Issue 59
      ... Latest Kernel causes reboot hell ... Subject: Fedora on Macbook Air? ... Chad>When it comes to booting from a disk drive, I believe the Air only boot OS's ... someone decided to set up grub by default to hide its ...
      (Fedora)