Re: Building an rpm for a kernel version

From: Paul Howarth (paul_at_city-fan.org)
Date: 08/24/05

    Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:02:51 +0100
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Dan Track wrote:
    > Would anyone know what the macro is to define which kernel version is
    > being run. Basically I want to build a module but I need the
    > kernel-source to be the same as the currently installed and running
    > kernel. I put in a "BuildPreReq: kernel-source" entry but it I can't
    > verify whether the currently installed kernel-source version is the
    > same as the currently running kernel version.

    It'll be very difficult to do this with any dgree of portability. For
    starters, there is no kernel-source package after FC2 (for FC3 you
    probably just want a "kernel" dep, and for FC4 "kernel-devel"). Second,
    the naming convention for SMP kernel RPMs means that just doing
    something like "BuildRequires: kernel-source-%(uname -r)" won't work for
    people running SMP kernels.

    Paul.

    • Re: kernel designations question
      ... > I am assuming that the kernel with the SMP tag is for HW with multiple ... > PC hardware sometimes surprises me. ... A hyperthreading Pentium 4 or Xeon "looks" to software like two ... So a hyperthreading processor *needs* an SMP kernel to get that ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Couple Questions Before I install for first time.
      ... > This weekend I am getting ready to switch my server over to Debian Woody ... the system comes up with a non-SMP kernel. ... Now is there an easy way to get a SMP kernel for debian or should I just ... The stock Linux ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: [SLE] sis900 and SMP
      ... I have exactly the same issue as you with SuSE 9.0. ... no usb and no sound with smp kernel. ... so I need smp kernel in order to use HT. ... > I just performed an FTP installation of SUSE Linux on a box that I built ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: CPUs and system monitor
      ... >>the system to boot with the 2.6.8 smp kernel so I changed the repository ... >>to unstable and installed the 2.6.11.1 kernel. ... >>the System monitor is only showing one cpu. ... >I know many moons ago when I tried the installer on sarge it ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Help need for fc3 installing on IBM Xseries 360
      ... found that it can boot with linux kernel with only one ... However, when I try to boot with SMP kernel, it keeps ... all you need to support multiple ...
      (Fedora)