Re: Building an rpm for a kernel version

From: Paul Howarth (paul_at_city-fan.org)
Date: 08/24/05

    Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:02:51 +0100
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Dan Track wrote:
    > Would anyone know what the macro is to define which kernel version is
    > being run. Basically I want to build a module but I need the
    > kernel-source to be the same as the currently installed and running
    > kernel. I put in a "BuildPreReq: kernel-source" entry but it I can't
    > verify whether the currently installed kernel-source version is the
    > same as the currently running kernel version.

    It'll be very difficult to do this with any dgree of portability. For
    starters, there is no kernel-source package after FC2 (for FC3 you
    probably just want a "kernel" dep, and for FC4 "kernel-devel"). Second,
    the naming convention for SMP kernel RPMs means that just doing
    something like "BuildRequires: kernel-source-%(uname -r)" won't work for
    people running SMP kernels.

    Paul.