Re: newbie kernel update

From: Jeff Vian (jvian10_at_charter.net)
Date: 08/29/05

    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:53:24 -0500

    On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 23:25 +0530, Sumeet Pal Singh wrote:
    > on my computer I have not yet figured out to use yum. I am trying it out.
    > By the way which is better to compile a kernel or use rpm
    >
    > On 8/29/05, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
    > > On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 23:12 +0530, Sumeet Pal Singh wrote:
    > > > Hi
    > > > I installed FC4 last week and my kernel is 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 running
    > > > on i686-smp(Intel P4).
    > > > I wish to install 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 and maybe 2.6.13 kernel just
    > > > recently released.
    > > > Can someone provide me some info on how to do this or some link in
    > > > which this is explained .
    > > > I do not wish to make some mistake and do the whole installation again.
    > > > Thanks in advance
    > > > Sumeet, IITK
    > > ----
    > > why not just do ?
    > >
    > > # yum update
    > >
    > > Craig

    The default config for yum repos should do exactly what you need.
    simply run "yum update" with no changes from the default and it will
    update everything that was initially installed from the packages at
    updates-released

    • Re: yum update/install from a specific repo
      ... This plugin adds the command alias, ... Yum plugin to enable manual downgrading of packages ... Yum plugin to let Yum install only basearch packages. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: updating with yum (was: Need help: X GUI objects invisible)
      ... >>It will take a while to download and install all the packages, ... Does yum work along the same lines? ... enough to update your system by the install (if you upgraded from FC2, ... >>(sometimes not even other versions of SuSE). ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: How does yum work ??
      ... I have a curiosity question about yum. ... package metadata and RPM should be fairly ... metadata describe the available packages beyond the information ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: downgrade rpm using yum
      ... I have upgraded glibc from 2.5-18 to 2.5-24 using yum, ... RHEL 5.1 has glibc 2.5-18 ... There are yum plugins to download such packages. ... You see, the 'yum-rhn-plugin' tool overrules most if not all of the other yum repo directives, apparently to make sure that you get the latest, greatest, RedHat approved packages. ...
      (linux.redhat)
    • Re: yum Traceback in yummain.main(sys.argv[1:]) ...
      ... Only with Yum failing to resolve the dependencies of the kmdl pkgs. ... packages depending on other installed packages. ... kernel needing a rebuild for the final kernel in F8. ... BTW when installonlyn was a plugin ...
      (Fedora)