Re: 5 inch floppies

From: Tony Nelson (tonynelson_at_georgeanelson.com)
Date: 09/03/05

    Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 12:50:12 -0400
    To: <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    At 10:55 AM -0500 9/3/05, Michael Hennebry wrote:
    >I'm trying to read some old (duh) 5 inch
    >floppies with a borrowed drive on an FC3 box.
    >Probabaly there is more than one format,
    >but I'm not sure which has which.
    >The usual result is that I can read the
    >directory by clicking on a KDE icon,
    >but get I/O errors when trying to read any of the files.
    >Trying to mount with a mount command also results
    >in an I/O error.
    >If I couldn't read the directory,
    >I'd suppose that I was out of luck.
    >Is there a reason that the directory
    >would be easier to read than the files?
    >Any ideas on how to read the files?

    I don't know how to solve your entire problem, but I suggest that you use
    dd to copy the entire contents of each floppy into a file, so that you
    don't wear them out, and so you know if the floppy data has been properly
    read. Once you find a solution to reading the floppy format, you can mount
    the image files over a loopback interface and work with then as if they
    were still on floppies, only faster and more safely.

    If the floppies are hard to read, sometimes just trying 50 times will
    succeed. This is another reason to try to get the data off them, as the
    process may tend to wear them out.

    • Re: raw file system ?
      ... I think my PC has gone loco, the last accessable floppy I ... without floppies. ... My floppy A drive cannot format a brand ... Many computers no longer include floppy drives these days. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Floppy Drive and XP
      ... 98 doesn't care as 98 doesn't trust anything and always works out independently the information stored on disk while XP trusts the disk information the disk is reporting. ... If you have problems between XP and 98 then the floppy alignment is off on one or both. ... So full backward compatibility for floppies was not built into XP. ... > I have found that if I format the floppies on my old Win98 puter they will ...
    • Re: raw file system ?
      ... my floppy is hooked to my pc by USB and I have ... formatted and when format command given, the reply is unable to complete ... without floppies. ... Many computers no longer include floppy drives these days. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Bulk erase methods
      ... >> disposable with security, then mechanical destruction is certainly the ... I still sometimes have to erase a floppy to use it, if the format ... >> If the OP only wanted to re-use the floppies himself, ...
      (sci.electronics.design)
    • Re: how to reformat floppies that have data on them
      ... The problem could well be the floppies. ... have a bunch of older floppies that will not format on any machine. ... I have also had luck with erasing the floppy with a bulk ... tape eraser before formatting them. ...
      (Fedora)