Re: internal modems!!!

From: taharka (res00vl8_at_alltel.net)
Date: 09/07/05

    Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:12:17 -0400
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Paul F. Johnson wrote:

    >Hi,
    >

    >>Abortive attempts to load internal hard modems on Linux thru' the years
    >>have deterred me from attempting to do so on FC4. Anyone tell me if it
    >>is possible ?.
    >>

    >Depends on the modem. Have a look at linmodems.org (IIRC). That said,
    >internal modems should never be put near a computer. They are typically
    >that poor that if you get a spur on the phoneline, it can blow the
    >b'jesus out of the motherboard and memory. Use an external one.
    >
    >TTFN
    >
    >Paul

    A Multi-Tech Systems, Inc. pci modem, in combination with a quality
    phone line surge protector, solves that problem :-)

    taharka

    Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

    • Re: internal modems!!!
      ... >>Abortive attempts to load internal hard modems on Linux thru' the years ... >>have deterred me from attempting to do so on FC4. ... >internal modems should never be put near a computer. ...
      (Fedora)
    • RE: What modems work with Ubuntu?
      ... And the reality is that Linux support for these winmodems is ... law) winmodems and creating Linux drivers. ... I doubt that that any internal modems manufactured ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Well, here goes....
      ... For PCI card modems, ... Only after your chipset has been ... modem driver, supplied by the modem company's OWN site (not the place ... advanced doctorate in linux networking and developement... ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: HELP: Fedora 2 and internet config
      ... >I've just installed Fedora Core 2 and I'm a new Linux user; ... >to the Internet configuration ... A number of the "soft modems" (also known as ... Far from all modems have Linux drivers. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: Linux?
      ... ya sea la tarjeta o el hardware de MODEMS. ... que NO SON compatibles con Linux. ... manufacturers de MODEMS, para WIndows, solo ...
      (soc.culture.argentina)