Re: A further ctrl-alt-backspace mystery.

From: Gilboa Davara (gilboada_at_netvision.net.il)
Date: 09/11/05

    Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 07:10:35 +0300
    To: fedora-list@redhat.com

    What problems are you having?
    What is that crazy state?
    On what machine configuration does this crazy state happen?

    Gilboa

    On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 07:54 -0500, akonstam@trinity.edu wrote:
    > On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 10:37:10AM +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
    > > In general, a simple change in the BIOS AGP/PCI settings can cause a
    > > stable machine to go wild.
    > > Can you post the machine hardware configuration?
    > > BTW, "DontZap" "False" is the default. You can delete it altogether.
    > >
    > > Gilboa
    > Two things.. What kinds of things do you need to know about the
    > hardware configuration. We are having the same problems on at least
    > three different hardware configurations and two machines that are
    > exactly the same hardware and (as far as we can tell) exactly the same
    > software configuration act differently. That is what makes this all so
    > infuriating and mysterious.
    >
    > I know "DontZap" "False" false is the default but since the same
    > hardware acts differently ion different physical machines
    > we did not want to depend on defaults.
    > >
    > > On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 10:03 -0500, akonstam@trinity.edu wrote:
    > > > We started out with the realization that ctrl-alt-backspace would not
    > > > work on our FC4 lab machines to restart the X server.
    > > >
    > > > Research led us to inset the following clause in the xorg.conf to
    > > > disable this key sequence altogether:
    > > > Section "ServerFlags"
    > > > Option "DontZap" "true"
    > > > EndSection
    > > >
    > > > Logic then led us to wonder if the clause:
    > > > Section "ServerFlags"
    > > > Option "DontZap" "false"
    > > > EndSection
    > > >
    > > > would allow ctrl-alt-backspace to operate as it should. The answer we
    > > > found was sometimes. In several cases two machines with identical
    > > > hardware and identical software would have different behavior. One of
    > > > the pair would work and the other would go into a crazy state where
    > > > rebooting became necessary.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone have any further wisdom of this matter that they are
    > > > willing to share?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > =======================================================================
    > > > Do not meddle in the affairs of troff, for it is subtle and quick to anger.

    • Odd Pen-test: Security Camera
      ... which the hardware configuration is password protected, ... Information Security Analyst ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: Retrieve hardware and modules info..
      ... >> Description: information about hardware configuration ... >> and speed, cache configuration, bus speed, etc. on DMI-capable x86 ... > Other than html or xml output, what advantage does lshw have over dmidecode? ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Retrieve hardware and modules info..
      (Debian-User)
    • Xtreme DSP Development Kit JTAG Problem
      ... error message:" Error configuring device, a problem may exist in the ... hardware configuration. ... that the specified scan chain configuration matches ...
      (comp.dsp)
    • Re: Tools for automatically updating linux server documentation
      ... As for configuration, I use Subversion to version control all configuration files (from /etc, ... server" then the individual servers, and tags for each individual server "certified" ... I don't have an specific idea of exactly what kind of documentation tool I'd ... hardware configuration and some basic OS stuff (update level, ...
      (RedHat)