Re: Newbie PPC Core 4 questions

From: Adam Boettiger (boettiger_at_pobox.com)
Date: 09/22/05

    Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:29:42 -0700
    To: Fedora List <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    On 9/21/05 9:34 AM, "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@mac.com> wrote:

    > On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 09:18 -0700, Adam Boettiger wrote:
    >> I've tried downloading the PPC version of Core 4 several times to CD-R.
    >> Mediacheck shows all but the first .iso pass. Regardless of which mirror I
    >> use, the first .iso file always seems to faily the Mediacheck.
    >>
    >> I'm wishing to dual-partition my PowerBook G4 with OS X and Core 4. For the
    >> life of me I cannot understand why one file would fail the Media check from
    >> all mirrors.
    >
    > There's a bug in mediacheck. With some CD drives, it is not reliable.

    Okay, mediacheck fails on .iso disc one PPC. But you and others say there is
    a bug in it, so I just continued the install, skipping the check. I get
    initialization lines scrolling on the install of disc 1 for about 30
    seconds, then it just stops and the screen goes blank - even before I can
    get to disc 2 and any configuration of the install.

    I've burned 3 sets of iso files - one directly from the Redhat servers, two
    from different mirrors. The same thing happens every time. I've tried both a
    GUI install hitting return as well as a text install using 'linux
    textinstall' and the same thing happens. I end up each time having to force
    quit the laptop by powering it down holding the power button down until it
    goes off and then restarting it again.

    I can see it's starting Anaconda, so something is happening... Just can't
    get past disc 1.

    The only thing I have not tried is to burn and boot from the single DVD
    image, and that only because my DVD drive is read-only.

    This install is going into an unpartitioned drive so as to let the
    partitioner set optimium settings for swap etc.

    I have ordered Linux Yellow Dog on CD's. Other than going back to Core 3,
    does anyone have anything else I should try?

    TIA

    Mac PowerBook G4, 80G HD, 20G LaCie external USB drive (yes I called Apple
    and they said I could install it into the external HD...)
    1 GHz RAM, Aluminum PowerBook

    </stumped>

    --
    Adam Boettiger
    NOTE: I value your time. If it is faster and easier

    • Re: Copying XP Install Cd to Flash Drive
      ... Can't comment on the flash drive install. ... CD, but all as one file - you then burn it to a CD, though you have to ... ISO file, you don't just put it on a CD as a data file - but all burning ... The problem is in the i386 folder. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: FC3 mediacheck
      ... I've encountered the mediacheck failures similarly for ... Out of the four install images, ... and two out of four pass the mediacheck. ... > loading the ide-scsi or using the 2.4 kernel was suggested. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: upgrade from hard drive?
      ... Put the ISO file somewhere that's ... readable during the install routine, ... You're asked for the drive partition and directory. ... trying to burn it to a CD; is that the right thing to burn? ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Joining Vista Business client to network produces strange user
      ... Well, clearly, I had not downloaded the WEM stuff to the new client ... I found the Office 2007 .iso file, and wanted to install the ISO ... Nero Essentials app came up and burned it to disk. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: [opensuse] Can I ask something...?
      ... so that I could do a net install, without having to go out to the Internet. ...  You place the ISO file on a server, loop back mount it and then ...
      (SuSE)