2.6.14-rc2-git6 vs FC3

From: Zoltan Boszormenyi (zboszor_at_freemail.hu)
Date: 09/27/05

    Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:08:30 +0200
    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    Hi,

    I have an FC3/x86-64 system and I wanted to try
    the latest-greatest mainstream test kernel.
    The compilation went OK but it didn't boot successfully,
    which seems to be an FC3 bug. The last lines on the
    console are:

    Switching to new root
    Enforcing mode requested but no policy loaded. Halting now.
    Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kil init!

    At that point, the initrd userspace already started up
    and loaded the required modules, e.g. ext3, SATA drivers, etc.

    Is FC3 (or its mkinitrd) that old to be incompatible with
    the latest kernel? At this moment I cannot upgrade to FC4
    to confirm this.

    Best regards,
    Zoltán Böszörményi

    • Re: 2.6.8.1-mm3
      ... > Kernel hacking is not an end in itself, ... > of compilation of any software as a benchmark are showstopping issues. ... benchmarks have to be useful to evaluate different ... Bundle a toolchain and all supporting userspace required for it ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Compiling FreeBSD 4.10 kernel with gcc native and gcc-3.4.3
      ... The third time I didn't touch emacs so the kernel ... # PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code. ... # ISA Ethernet NICs. ... The result was that after succesful compilation I got ...
      (freebsd-performance)
    • Compiling FreeBSD 4.10 kernel with gcc native and gcc-3.4.3
      ... The third time I didn't touch emacs so the kernel ... # PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code. ... # ISA Ethernet NICs. ... The result was that after succesful compilation I got ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • kernel BUG at page_alloc.c:98 -- compiling with distcc
      ... time (seconds after compilation start). ... The kernel panic happens *only* ... VIA Technologies, ... Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: [SLE] Load Module
      ... Surya Kiran Gullapalli wrote: ... > Compilation went fine, and the new kernel is also working fine with one ... > How can i tell the kernel to load that module at boot time, ...
      (SuSE)