win xp hm <-> fc4?!

From: Morgan Read (mstuff_at_pl.net)
Date: 09/28/05

    Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 00:37:10 +1200
    To: fedora-list@redhat.com

    windoze xp home <-> fc4

    This is realy basic - just one xover cable and two machines, just like to
    mount the win share and see it on my desktop.

    Is there an howto somewhere for this? (I have looked.) It must be soooo
    common. Is there someone who's done it can give me a quick run down?

    I've got ping going (but, how to change win box to something sensible like
    192.168.0.2?)

    It's so long I've touched windoze that it's as much about windoze set up as fc4.

    Re fc4:
    - What daemons do I need - just for seeing win share do I need smbd/nmbd?
    Or, will just netfs do?
    - I'd prefer to just use the gui tools - what do I fill in to "Connect to
    Server" under the Places menu?

    Re windoze:
    - How do I avoid all those wizards and get to the guts, and once there what
    do I do?
    - It keeps telling me the network connection is bad due to not getting any
    info over the network, I assume this doesn't matter as all I want is to set
    a couple of static IP addy's?
    - What corresponds on the xp box with the "Connect to Server" window (e.g.
    it has no field for 'workgroup'...)?

    Thanks all.
    Morgan.

    --
    Morgan Read
    <mailto:mstuffATplDOTnet>

    • Re: Microsoft making vendors remove drivers
      ... I just fix computers. ... I accidentally found something interesting about Windoze 3.1. ... was just fine for a server. ... I had an odd thing happen on eBay yesterday. ...
      (sci.electronics.design)
    • Re: Linux-windoze home networking
      ... > I am trying to get my work windoze laptop work with my home ... > - Obtain DNS server address automatically ... > network tunnel program either to connect to work in this windoze ... Why dhcp rather than static setup? ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Why you have hardware firewalls
      ... You can actually run the typical windoze server with all the ... much less running the defaults) behind a very restrictive firewall ... But what about the "local" businesses? ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • cups print to samba host
      ... I got some problem printing to a windoze server with a local connected ... Some days ago I had to reinstall my laptop and I have installed the same ... mad:~# dpkg -l cups* ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Backing up several Windows machines to a Linux server
      ... > user files on several Windows machines to the hard disk of a Linux ... Given that the clients are Windows and I need to automate backups ... > the server. ... windoze reality set by others. ...
      (Fedora)