Re: Confused about ping...

From: Peter Gordon (admin_at_ramshacklestudios.com)
Date: 10/06/05

    Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:43:52 -0500 (CDT)
    To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@redhat.com>

    > $ ping 207.195.133.148
    > PING 207.195.133.148 (207.195.133.148) 56(84) bytes of data.
    > From 209.120.242.6 icmp_seq=0 Packet filtered
    > From 209.120.242.6 icmp_seq=1 Packet filtered
    > From 209.120.242.6 icmp_seq=2 Packet filtered
    > From 209.120.242.6 icmp_seq=3 Packet filtered
    >
    > What does "Packet filtered" mean?

    Ping works by sending an ICMP "Echo" data packet to the
    specified host, and waiting for its ICMP "Echo Reply" data
    packet (which, if successful, should be exactly the same as
    the data sent in the original Echo packet). Many system
    adminstrators filter this type of packet on their firewalls,
    though, as ICMP ping requests can be used by malicious users to
    cause a DoS (Denial of Service) on an otherwise-functional
    system. That's probably what you're seeing.

    Hope that helps!

    • Re: [fw-wiz] ECHO Protocol
      ... Yes, I know that there are alternate "ping" programs that will allow you to use TCP, UDP or possibly anything that programmer could think of, but the traditional ping uses ICMP. ... Two of the ICMP types are referred to as echo and echo reply, which are the ICMP types used for ping. ... Ping command in Windows uses ICMP protocol, while others say that Ping uses ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Dos/smurf/icmp/tcpdump/snmp-mib2
      ... I am trying to see how a smurf-like ICMP broadcast flooder works (from ... packet delay = wait between each packet ... Why is there no echo reply. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Ping, ICMP and TCP Ping
      ... > Im learning protocol tcp/ip and icmp, ... > transmit packets and PING is identic with ICMP. ... ICMP packet usually achieves the desired result, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: No ICMP response
      ... > sends an ICMP packet and the reply is also an ICMP packet. ... > message protocol" useless because it would depend on the protocol it is ... message which indicates its a ping. ...
    • Re: icmp packets on em larger than 1472
      ... All my em cards running 8.1 stable don't reply to icmp echo requests packets larger than 1472 bytes. ... Same ping from same source to em card running 8.1 stable ... the largest packet that should work. ...
      (freebsd-stable)