Re: ide bus settings

From: Alexander Dalloz (ad+lists_at_uni-x.org)
Date: 10/07/05

    To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 00:53:45 +0200

    Am Do, den 06.10.2005 schrieb David Niemi um 23:07:

    > Looking through the messages log I came across the following:
    >
    > ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override
    > with idebus=xx
    >
    > Don't most new PCs with SATA have a 66Mhz or faster bus?

    A discussion about this can be found in following thread:

    https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-August/msg00223.html

    So don't force the value to be different.

    > What is the command / program for setting the IDE / SATA Settings?

    hdparm / sdparm

    Most settings are autodetected by the kernel and enforcing other
    settings may be dangerous as causing risk of data loss. So act with
    care.

    Alexander

    Serendipity 00:51:24 up 7 days, 9:47, load average: 0.08, 0.14, 0.29

    • Re: RedHat 10 wishlist
      ... But performance is not everything SATA ... the smaller form factor drives. ... > kernel, ... >> REdhat is to wrap more stuff into its coming workstation release that I ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: Computer keeps restarting
      ... You say that the hard drive is a SATA. ... If all else fails you could reset the CMOS settings. ... I've recently decided to reinstall windows xp on my computer. ... and then computer restarts. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
    • Re: Cargo Cult sysadmining
      ... No need for SATA, PCI, or cardbus ... I may recompile the kernel these days; ... Removing PATA "because I'll never use it" leads to you discovering ... throw ANY disks away. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Changes in SATA, IDE and ATAPI configuration
      ... At the risk of getting flamed for asking a basic question here, could I suggest that a kernel and/or driver developer provide a brief "how-to acticle" somehere that explains the way things have changed from the early 2.6.x days to more recent kernels like 2.6.14 or 2.6.15 with respect to configuring fundamental devices like IDE drives, SATA drives, and ATAPI drives. ... I have been struggling for about two weeks to move an image of an IDE OS Drive that's running a 2.6.14 kernel over to a SATA drive. ... When making fresh installs onto SATA drives, some distributions seem to load the AHCI module and some don't, on exactly the same hardware with the same kernel. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Treiber fuer SATA?
      ... wieder ein das SCSI den SCSIIDE Krieg gewonnen hat und habe AHCI ... Soweit moeglich alles im Kernel, ... SATA Festplatte ueber IDE->SATA konverter als IDE0/Master ... Platte nicht findet weil der Treiber die Hardware nicht findet. ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware)